books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

8 Tips to Beat Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Procrastination affects almost every student- sometimes beginning that assignment or chapter feels nearly impossible. If you’re like me and have a terrible habit of procrastinating, here are 8 tips that you need to overcome procrastination.

1) Have positive thoughts.

Many people often procrastinate because they begin to associate the task with negative emotions. The best way to handle task aversion is to turn these thoughts into positive ones about the results of completing the task. For example, “this assignment/chapter is going to be so boring” can be replaced with “as soon as I finish this assignment, I can take a nap.” This motivates you to finish the task and later rewards you for it as well.

2) Clear your mind.

University level workloads can be super overwhelming, and stress and anxiety are significant causes of procrastination. It’s important to reset your body and to clear your mind. Taking a walk, a power nap or a shower, or working out can be a great way to relieve stress and calm you down. Clearing your mind can help you get to work.

3) Cut out all distractions.

It’s always best to work in a quiet space, and if you’re easily distracted like I am, it’s best to limit the distractions around you. Remember to keep your phone on silent and at a distance from you, and if you have to fight the urge to check your social media from your laptop, you can download extensions that temporarily block them so that you can’t. I often do this when I’m the most distracted, and it definitely works.

4) Break it down.

Sometimes the assignment or chapter feels like way too much work, so breaking the workload down into smaller chunks can ease you. Once you begin completing these portions you often realize that the task is doable. Always remember that each step counts, no matter how small, in finishing the task.

5) Eat healthy and keep yourself hydrated.

Part of the reason why we often procrastinate is because we neglect our meals and forget to drink water. It’s important to make sure that you are keeping yourself healthy, as this not only gives you energy but makes you feel more content as well.

6) Reward yourself.

A great way to keep yourself motivated is to reward yourself occasionally. This helps you look forward to finishing segments of your assignments or completing chapters to study for your exams.

7) Edit your work and revise.

Make sure to edit your work! If you have time, it’s always good to take a step back and revisit an assignment to make sure you catch any last-minute mistakes or revisions needed.

8) Go easy on yourself.

Lastly, don’t beat yourself up. November is the month of final assignments and exam season is nearly here, which means this time of year is stressful for everyone. It’s important to take breaks, be kind to yourself and to take care of your mental health. You can do this. Good luck!

hamdah shabbir

Queen's U '20

Hamdah is a fourth year English student at Queen's University. She loves painting, music, photography, and of course, writing. She hopes to publish her own novels someday in the future.