8 Struggles of Being an Extroverted Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. Making plans when you’re in a good mood, and instantly regretting it when it’s time to go. The unpredictability of your extroverted-ness makes it difficult to make plans in advance, and also be confident that you’ll be in the same mood when the time comes.

2. Going out with friends, but feeling the need to retreat back home when your ‘social battery’ dies. You love socializing and being out with your friends, however being in the company of too many people for too long can become exhausting.

3. Explaining to others what it means to be extroverted and introverted at the same time, there is simply no perfect word to describe it. Trust me, it’s possible to be both!

4. Needing time to reflect, and then wanting to tell someone about the realizations you’ve made. As someone who spends a lot of their time thinking, self-reflection is crucial to your well-being… almost as crucial as it is to communicate your personal thoughts.

5.  Wanting to sit in silence, but with company. As someone who is both extroverted and introverted you enjoy having others around, even if you aren’t in the mood to talk.

6. You overanalyze every social situation. You enjoy being social and meeting new people, but your inner-dialogue can’t help but read too deeply into social cues.

7.  Wanting to mentally prepare before events. You like to know what you are getting into and you have to make sure you are ready for it! You would hate to burn out halfway through.

8.  Getting uncomfortable in unfamiliar situations. You mean I didn’t get to prepare for this?

Zoe Malik

Queen's U '21

Zoe is a second-year sociology student at Queen's University. She is passionate about learning both inside and outside of the classroom, collecting insights about life and sharing them through her writing.