5 Things to Do With Friends (That Aren’t Netflix)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Now that midterms are wrapping up for the semester, students can finally take a long-awaited (however brief) step away from their textbooks and laptops. While it may be tempting just to use your new-found free time to sit in front of your computer and re-watch Michael Scott’s antics for the seventeenth time, here are some ideas to get you inspired to call up a few friends and have a fun night in.

1. Hold a cookie swap.

There’s nothing like eating your weight in cookies to celebrate the end of midterms. Have each of your friends bake a different type of cookie, so that when you all come together, you can take a sample of each type to have a delicious variety for when the craving hits!

2. Be a tourist in your own city.

Have you been wanting to do the Kingston Penitentiary tour or explore some of the museums and galleries downtown, but have never actually got around to it? Now is the perfect time! Grab a few friends and explore the places in Kingston that draw tourists from all over the world.

3. Make a fancy dinner together.

If you’re guilty of turning to grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner when the pressure of school hits like I am, it can be nice to get friends together to make a delicious, home-cooked meal. Find the friend whose house has the nicest table, pull out a tablecloth and some wine glasses, and enjoy.

4. Have a clothing mix-and-match.

Do you have a shirt at the back of your closet that you never wear, but know your friend would look amazing in? Bring all of your unworn clothes together, and hold a clothing swap. This is a great way to encourage sustainable fashion, and you get to change up your wardrobe!

5. Pull out the board games.

Now, maybe this is just me, but there’s nothing like cozying up with a hot chocolate, some close friends, and a good game of Trivial Pursuit. Bring out some board games if you have any, or find some good card games to play. Tip: if you didn’t bring games with you, many second hand stores sell board games for a good price, not to mention they’re often games that aren’t sold anymore, but are still a ton of fun (hello, High School Musical-themed games!). 

Sabrina Fielding

Queen's U '21

Sabrina Fielding is a third-year Con-Ed student at Queen's University, majoring in French. Some of her passions include writing, music, languages, exploring new places, and arguing about what makes the perfect chocolate chip cookie.