5 Mathematical Conditions It’s Time to Break Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. Your problems run on an infinite loop.

Like a sequence of instructions in a computer program looping endlessly, the problems in your relationship just seem to repeat over and over again. You face the same issues – she’s not pulling her weight, he flirts too much – on a regular basis. Every few weeks you discuss it and promise to change, maybe you both implement that change for some time, but somehow end up having the exact same, sad conversation for the seventh time. The inability to permanently solve your recurring problems is the termination condition necessary to end this loop. In other words, if nothing is changing, you need to make your own change and end it.

2. P1LifeGoals ≠ P2LifeGoals

If the variable defining the life goals of person 1 does not equal the variable defining the life goals of person 2, reconsider the longevity of your relationship. This is more of an underlying issue than it is an immediate one and can be ignored if the relationship isn’t serious to begin with. But if yours is a relationship where both parties are constantly struggling and making sacrifices, it won’t be worth it in the end if you ultimately want different things in life.

3. Priorities = [c, you, x, y, z]

If your partner’s priorities are an array of items, you should always be first. However, if there exists some constant “c” that constantly takes first priority over you, you deserve better. There are many other people who would willingly put you above anything and everyone else – you shouldn’t be with someone who doesn’t make you feel like the prize that you are.

4. lim (loyalty) as t –> +∞ = –∞. I.e. The limit of your loyalty as time approaches positive infinity equals negative infinity.

What I’m trying to say is this: if as time goes on you find yourself becoming less and less loyal, it means you’re ready for a change. Do you notice your eye wandering like you’re single again? Have you started making more opposite sex (or same sex if that’s what you’re into) friends? I know this one was kind of a stretch mathematically, but the point stands. You’re already preparing for life after the relationship, so out of respect for your partner, don’t delay the breakup until your loyalty becomes negative.

5. f(t=unhappy) > f(t=happy)

This is the most important one. If f is a function of time where you spend more time unhappy than you do happy, you need to part ways. Like every couple ever, of course you’re happy during the good times and unhappy during the bad. But life is all about being truly happy, and if you find yourself feeling more sad/angry/frustrated than you do feeling head-over-heels in love, it’s not worth it anymore. There are tons of variables in the database of life that can make you happier. Go find them.

HC Queen's U contributor