This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Around the age of 14, I read voraciously. I was raised on a love for Harry Potter, and my passion for reading continued throughout the height of 2010’s young adult dystopia. As I neared the end of high school, my ability to finish a book dwindled, and this hobby was simply replaced with other hobbies. However, thanks to TikTok and a slew of free time during the pandemic, I have since reignited my love for reading. Here are the five books that got me back into reading:

1. The seven husbands of evelyn hugo by taylor jenkins reid

This is an obvious choice to sit at number one on my list. It has amassed great success, having sold over 1 million copies since its initial release. It follows aging starlet Even Hugo as she recounts her life’s story to reporter Monique Grant. The book is split into seven parts, each named after one of Hugo’s seven infamous husbands. Reid’s writing is truly compelling and I felt immersed in the Old Hollywood, Los Angeles setting. Even more interesting was Hugo’s character. As a reader, I was able to resonate with her triumphs and failures while still getting the sense that she was hiding something. I would definitely recommend this book, especially for those who love historical fiction.

2. the love hypothesis by ali hazelwood

This book was delightful mind candy. It tells the story of Olive Smith, a brilliant but socially awkward Ph.D. candidate, who finds herself falling for an unlikely partner as part of a ploy to convince her friend she is over dating. Women in STEM isn’t something that is explored much in the romance genre, so it was interesting to read such a wonderful tribute to women’s participation in higher education. I would especially recommend this for those relatively new to reading as it is incredibly fast paced. I should know, I read it in one sitting.

3. Seven days in june by tia williams

When I first picked up this book, I expected a witty rom com about two writers discovering their second chance at love. It certainly delivered that, but it was also so much more. William’s writing is thought-provoking, and she was able to explore themes of intergenerational trauma, addiction, motherhood, and Black joy in a manner that was incredibly compelling. I don’t see this book get as much hype as the ones above, which is unfortunate because I loved it so much.

4. a good girl’s guide to murder by holly jackson

As someone who loves Criminal Minds, I was immediately intrigued by this book. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder follows Pippa “Pip” Fitz-Amobi as she investigates the five-year-old murder case of popular student Andie Bell under the guise of a school project. Although AGGGTM technically fits within the YA genre, I found it incorporated themes and dialogue that read much older than the age of its purported audience. I loved the twists and turns with this one, as cliché as it sounds, it kept me guessing.

5. verity by colleen hoover

I decided to end this list with a bang with Verity. This book follows struggling writer Lowen as she accepts a job offer to complete the successful series of a bestselling author, who was unable to finish due to an injury. This book was insane from start to finish; I truly could not put it down. It does contain heavy adult themes, so please be warned. Do not read this at night as I made the mistake of doing.

The experience of becoming invested in a book does not happen often, however, when it does, it is truly something special. These books helped me get back into reading, so maybe they can help you too.

Charlotte Naudie

Queen's U '24

Hey! My name is Charlotte, and I'm currently in my fourth year of Political Studies at Queen's University in Canada! I hope to graduate in 2024 with my BAH and then head to Law school in the fall. Outside of university, I love to read, run, and binge reality TV during my weekends.