5 Books Every Girl Should Read At Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Young adult books are often cast aside as not being “real” literature. Those aimed towards a female audience are especially dismissed as frivolous or overly romantic. These five books, all classified as young adult literature, prove otherwise. They might be easy reads, but their lessons to girls–especially young girls–are invaluable.

1. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

A personal favorite of mine, Before I Fall follows Samantha Kingston, a popular high schooler stuck in a Ground Hog Day like cycle when she dies in a car accident one night after a party. Forced to live the same day on repeat, Sam alters her decisions in an attempt to break the loop. Though deeply rooted in the social hierarchy of high school, the lessons featured in this book are applicable to girls of any age.

What I enjoyed most was Sam’s character development. She’s certainly unlikeable at the beginning of the book, caring more about her popularity and social image than the way she treats others. One girl in particular–Juliet Sykes–is repeatedly bullied by Sam and her friends. Despite her “mean girl” tendencies, Sam begins to realize the effects of her actions and how trivial high school popularity really is.

To me, this is something that everyone can relate to. High school social cliques may be a thing of the past for those who have moved onto university, but I’m sure we all remember our own versions of mean girls and the popular crowd. Before I Fall not only touches on these subjects, but forces readers to evaluate their own character and proves that it’s never too late to change for the better.

2. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Think this: a satirical take on Lord of the Flies, but with an all-female cast–who also happen to be beauty queen contestants. Ultimately, thirteen girls must survive on a deserted island following a plane crash. Another favorite of mine, Beauty Queens is as inspirational and eye-opening as it is funny.

What I like most about this book is its style of writing. The plot is humorous, but uses this to tackle problems surrounding our society. Some of the girls are characterized as “dumb” and frivolous, but only to highlight how society likes to objectify women, valuing beauty over brains.

The book is also very diverse, delving into the discrimination of the LGBTQ community and people of color. Overall, its portrayal of society is glaringly truthful. Beauty Queens is not only empowering, but witty and well-written.

3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

A slight change of pace from my other recommendations, this young adult fantasy follows Celaena Sardothien, an eighteen-year-old assassin chosen by the Crown Prince and forced to participate in a competition to become the next royal assassin. If she wins, she will serve the king for four years before being granted her freedom.

Strong female characters are so important today–which is the main reason this book made the list. Girls–especially young girls–need to have visible literary role models, and Celaena, though a criminal in many ways, is just that. She may be an assassin, but she has a good heart, and fights desperately for what she believes in.

Yes, I could have chosen The Hunger Games for this purpose, but where Katniss Everdeen is tough, Celaena is badass. She is young and female, yet can kick the butts of grown men, while also maintaining her femininity. And while she may have love interests, they are not the end goal of the book. She does not need a man, or a man’s protection–she can survive well enough on her own, thank you–but the love interests are still there.

4. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

This is a pretty popular book, but one that I think is worth the read. Four girls (friends since birth) discover a pair of pants that, miraculously, fits them all. As they prepare to leave each other for the summer, the girls make a pact to share the pants, each wearing them a few days before sending the jeans to the next friend, wherever she may be.

A coming-of-age novel, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants focuses on friendship and the life lessons each girl learns over the course of the summer. It delves into grief, family, relationships, and most importantly, making mistakes. With four very different protagonists, you’re bound to relate to at least one of the girls.

5. Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

If you are familiar with Sarah Dessen, you know her books–as enjoyable as they are–focus on a boy and girl, and the trials and tribulations of their relationship. Someone Like You takes a bit of a different turn.

Halley and Scarlett have been best friends since youth. So when Scarlett’s boyfriend dies in a motorcycle accident, and she realizes she’s pregnant with his child, Scarlett needs Halley more than ever. Someone Like You explores their friendship, even as it’s tested throughout the book.

What I admire most about this book is that it’s centered around friendship. Oftentimes, getting the boy is the end goal for female characters, and their lives essentially suck until that goal is achieved. Think of most romance books: boy and girl meet and fall in love. Girl loses boy, and suddenly it’s like her life is over (*ahem* Twilight). Then, blessedly, she’s reunited with him and it’s happily ever after. I won’t lie, those are certainly fun to read about, but it’s also important that we have books such as Someone Like Me, where the boy isn’t the end game.

These books may not look like much on the surface, but the lessons within are well worth the read. They not only show that a girl can be independent and kick-ass–with or without a man–but emphasize the importance of friendship (and yes, I know that sounds corny, but it’s true!). Young girls need to be urged to be themselves, to know they’re not alone, and to not be afraid of taking up space–and these books do just that.

Chloe Sarrazin

Queen's U '21

Chloe is a third year English major at Queen's University, and the current Head Editor for the Queen's U Her Campus chapter. She enjoys fantasy novels, earl grey tea, and LUSH face masks--and really misses her cat from back home.