20 Milestones To Reach In Your 20s (That Aren’t Getting Married)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

In the early 1900’s, it wasn’t uncommon for women to be married by 21. Almost immediately after entering adulthood, women were expected to settle down and begin their domestic lives as wives and mothers. Nearly a century later, the meaning behind this decade of one’s life has changed completely. Nowadays, women are getting married later than ever, with most not saying “I do” until their early 30s. Ultimately, the 20s have been redefined as the “selfish years” – a time for you to do anything and everything you’ve always wanted to do without worrying about being tied down. Here are some ideas to get you started:

1. Travel to your dream destination. Go somewhere you’ve always wanted to go and soak in a new culture and perspective. The world is big and there’s so much to explore.

2. Make a dramatic change to your appearance. Dye your hair a crazy colour or get that tattoo you’ve been thinking about forever. Now is the time to experiment.

3. Form an educated and genuine political opinion. Do lots of research and figure out what YOU believe so that you can cast an informed vote during elections.

4. Get a place that’s completely your own. No sharing with siblings, friends, significant others or parents. Think of it as your little corner of the universe.

5. Make a friend after university. While making friends at school is a given, doing it as an adult can be difficult. Get involved in your community and make connections.

6. Fall in love. This doesn’t mean you have to marry anyone, but don’t be afraid to get into relationships – your 20s are a sweet spot for dating.

7. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Make up for all those teenage years of eating whatever you wanted and not working out. Become the best version of yourself.

8. Become involved with a charity. Contact a foundation that you are truly care about and volunteer. Your actions can make a difference, no matter how small.

9. Start a passion project. Whether you want to write a novel or start a small business – do something for yourself that you’ve always wanted to do.

10. Make a major purchase by yourself. Invest in something large, like a car, after significant planning and saving. Proudly show off the big-ticket item that’s completely your own.

11. Do something crazy. Have that one thing on your bucket-list that you’ve always been too scared to try? Now is the time to do it.

12. Find a new hobby. Maybe you want to learn sign language or try your hand at minimalism – whatever it is, take it up and try something new.

13. Move somewhere without reason. Move to a new city – not because school or work brought you there – but because you truly want to.

14. Learn how to cook. Gone are the days of boxed mac n cheese and frozen pizza – make an effort to understand how flavors work together to create a meal.

15. Find your cause. From global warming to gun violence, there are so many issues to advocate for in today’s society. Find one you are passionate about.

16. Treat your parents. They took care of you for the majority of your life – now it’s your turn to give back to them. Show your gratitude by taking them out to a nice dinner every once in a while.

17. Keep up with your health. Often, the need for yearly check-ups diminishes as one gets older. However, try to pay your doctor regular visits to ensure you’re staying healthy.

18. Accept your faults. Learn to love yourself, inside and out. Stop worrying about flaws. After all, they make you who you are.

19. Keep in touch with family. When life gets busy, it’s hard to stay in touch with loved ones. Make an effort to contact your family as often as you can.

20. Live your truth. No matter who you are or what you do in your 20s, always remain true to yourself. Don’t change for anyone or anything.

Now go out there and make the most out of your 20s!