10 Things You Have to Do In Kingston This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Overwhelmed with school and need a break? Not going home until Winter break? Don’t fret. This is a list of 10 fun things to do in the Kingston community between September and November. Stages and Ale House will always be there, but these events are only on for a short period of time so be sure to check them out!

1. Wolfe Island

Need a break from Kingston? Take a ferry over to Wolfe Island; there’s so much to do! Go bicycling on private trails just for cyclists. Enjoy the secluded beach of Big Sandy Bay, home to rare trees and plants species, and provincially significant birds. Spend the afternoon on the fairway of the nine-hole golf course suited for everyone from beginners to seasoned players. Grab some friends and try to make it through the two corn mazes with the added bonus of watching the beautiful views of the vast field as the sun sets. End the day by spending some time with cute, furry farm animals. A perfect end to a perfect day. Who knows, you might even meet your McDreamy on the ferry boat back to Kingston!

2. Etsy: Made in Canada Craft Fair

This is a hot ticket event as it’s only on for one day only. Join thirty-three other cities across Canada who will also be participating in this event. There will be a multitude of vendors selling their crafts made entirely by hand. Come and experience the creativity and craftsmanship of these local artists. There’s even the added convenience of the fair being located right on campus in Grant Hall so there’s no excuse not to attend! Check out the event Facebook page for a full list of vendors: https://www.facebook.com/events/139704883129178/.

When? September 24

3. Fort Fright

With Fall comes Halloween, the one day a year where you can be anybody you want, eat your weight in candy, and almost have a heart attack from being scared. What better way to be nearly scared to death than at Fort Henry for Fort Fright? Experience two fear-filled ride, enjoy an eerie candlelight dinner and travel through the “Hooded Tunnel of Terror” in pitch black. If that’s not enough horror for you, you can even stay overnight at Fort Henry, although be warned you may not get as good of a night sleep as you’d hope. 

When? September 29 – October 30

4. CRCA Fall Tree Planting             

Calling all tree huggers, this is the event for you! This tree planting session is held annually at the Lemoine Point Conservation Area and wouldn’t be possible without volunteers helping out. So grab a shovel and some work gloves and head over to Lemoine Point and do your part for the environment. You may even find some good karma come your way.

When? October 1

5. Sipps Coffee and Desert Bar

For all of the coffee lovers out there, Fall marks the return of pumpkin flavoured food and beverages. Warm up from a chilly Fall night and pop into Sipps Coffee and Desert Bar for a delicious, creamy pumpkin spiced latte. Located in Springer Market Square in downtown Kingston, this quaint little coffee shop has Fall written all over it.

6. Kingston Fall Fair

Do you like food, animals, rides, music and seeing cars smash into each other? Then the Kingston Fall Fair is perfect for you! A horse show, country singing showdown, and demolition derby are just a few of the things to keep you entertained. With so many activities to do at a single event, it seems almost too go to be true; plus, you’ll also be supporting a non-profit organization. This event is only in town for 4 days, so be sure to head on over as soon as possible!

When? September 15 – 18

7. Kingston Public Market

Need to go grocery shopping? Make trip downtown and choose from a wide selection of high quality, local produce, prepared foods, flowers, plants, and handmade items. Grab some locally-grown vegetables, a warm cinnamon bun or some handmade jewelry. Head on down even just to chat with the friendly vendors or listen to the street performers. The pleasant atmosphere is something you won’t want to miss.

When? Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays April through November

8. The Haunted Walk of Kingston

This is event is sure to have you shaking in your boots right in time for Halloween. On the tour you’ll visit many haunted locations in Kingston including haunted hotels, burial grounds, grave robbing and the old courthouse where hangings occurred. If you’re lucky, you may even see a ghost!

When? September 12 – October 31

9. Downtown Kingston Photo Walk

Here’s your perfect chance to try out new hobby. Join the other photography enthusiasts of Kingston to socialize and snap some shots of the local area. Afterwards, share your pictures with the rest of the group over a nice meal.

When? October 1

10. Kingston Community Blood Donor Clinic

Thanksgiving is write around the corner, a time to be grateful for our friends, family and health, and a time to assist the ones who are not as fortunate. 100,000 new blood donors are needed every year but only 4% of Canadians donate blood. Nothing feels better than assisting someone in need.

When? September 15 – October 13

Simran Gauba

Queen's U '18

.
HC Queen's U contributor