Why “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion” is the Perfect Movie for a Girls Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Sure, it’s October and fall season is officially in full swing, which means it’s time to roll out the best fall-coded movies to match the season, but let’s not forget about those classic chick flicks that are just as important. To add on, they are totally in season all the time. If you’re looking for a way to get your friends together and shake off that seasonal depression, then “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion” is not only the perfect movie to cheer you up but a great movie to watch with your besties.

What is the movie about?

“Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion” centers around two best friends who are having the time of their lives living in LA. However, when they receive news that their high school’s graduating class is having it’s 10 year reunion they reflect back on their not so fun high school years, including being bullied, crushes never liking them back, and feeling unpopular, this causes them to decide that now is the chance to turn everything around and show their old classmates what they’re made of. A hilarious movie on friendship that will have you laughing and gasping in horror at the antics that ensue throughout the movie. Not to mention the perfect 90s-early 2000s mesh of a comedy.

Why should you watch it?

1.) It doesn’t pit two girls against each other.

We’ve all seen this troupe. Two friends are pitted against each other, whether one of them becomes “popular” or a boy comes between them, movies centered on young girls can oftentimes find a way for something trivial to come between what could’ve been a great representation of a friendship without the need for competition or toxicity. Romy and Michele don’t hate on each other or feel the need to compete with one another. They just enjoy each other’s presence and their Pinterest-esque apartment.

2.) It’s relatable

The movie opens up with Romy and Michele watching “Pretty Woman” on the couch talking about how sweet the romance movie is, with a bag of chips and candy included. I mean, cmon, who hasn’t binge watched their favorite movies an unhealthy number of times. Not only that, but after a twist of events the girls retire to their living room and treat their sadness with tons of snacks that I can only assume was from a gas station run, and who hasn’t shoved their face with

candy after a heartbreak? And if you’ve ever felt behind in life, or compared yourself to others, then this movie is for you, and the self-love inspiration that comes with it is just an added bonus.

3.) The fashion

The movie mixes late 90s fashion with the booming 2000s trend. You’ve probably seen the iconic blue and pink dresses they wear at the climax of the movie all over Pinterest without realizing it. The costume designer for the movie was also behind the fashion for “Clueless”, “House Bunny”, and “Never Been Kissed” (Lodi). My favorite scene includes shimmering pastels with 80’s influences. After watching this movie, you’ll be rushing to Pinterest to save the outfits to your boards (guilty).

Whether you’re a diehard fan of chick flicks or just looking for a new movie recommendation, I suggest you watch “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion” for the perfect night in, doing nothing.

Aleyce Green

Purdue '26

Aleyce Green is a sophomore at Purdue University, majoring in Creative Writing and Communication. This is her first year writing for hercampus and she is looking forward to more! She likes to write about anything and everything, however, she leans more towards writing about lifestyle and entertainment such as topics related to manifestation, academics, movies (specifically chickflics and romcoms), and beauty. She hopes to get more into fashion so she can write about that too! This is her first time having her writing published. She also hopes to have some of her fiction published one day as well since she is a creative writing major. Branching more into the world of journalism would also be ideal. When she isn't writing for hercampus, you can find her snuggled up in her dorm room reading a book or binging a tv series. Her latest binge being 'The Summer I Turned Pretty' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher'. Her hobbies include fencing, writing, and spending time with her friends and family.