Life > Academics

What to do When You Keep Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you are like me, each week you take a look at your assignments, get the ‘fun/interesting’ ones done, and then procrastinate the rest of the assignments until you cannot possibly put them off any longer. I am guilty of this charade, and each week, I am just as burnt out as the previous week. I think to myself, will I ever learn? Will I finally just stop procrastinating and do the assignments early so I can enjoy the rest of my week? Well, I have come up with some tips to reduce procrastination and boost productivity and I am here to share them with you!

1. Make a To-Do List: First off, I absolutely love making lists. There is something so satisfying about crossing something off the list once it has been completed and for me, that is enough to motivate me to just sit down and do an assignment or two. I recommend putting in some easy tasks, some relatively challenging yet achievable tasks, and finally add a few of the menial tasks that you keep procrastinating.
  2. Take Breaks: While it may seem counterintuitive, studies have shown that it is beneficial to take breaks in accordance with the amount of time you have been studying. To make it easier, I suggest following the Pomodoro Method which says that for every 25 minutes that you study, you should take a 5-minute break.
  3. Reward Yourself for Completing an Assignment: We are all college students. This is a fact. And what do college students love to justify? Rewarding themselves for all small feats. Studying is no exception. For each assignment or project you finish, reward yourself for persevering and getting it done. You are a boss and you should treat yourself accordingly.
  4. Get Rid of All Distractions: Put away that phone. In fact, throw it across the room or hide it in another room. You could even ask your roommate to hold onto it for you, so you don’t feel tempted to check your notifications or scroll through TikTok. Moreover, if you have roommates, let them know that you need to get some stuff done so that they can be respectful of your studying and not distract you. The more distractions you eliminate the better.

I hope that some of these tips help you beat that procrastination and get those assignments done!

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.