What I Expect From My Boyfriend on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I have been alive for 21 Valentine’s Days and while I have had quite a few boyfriends in the past, this will be the first year I won’t celebrate the holiday single. I always considered myself a “first semester girlfriend,” meaning that I would start dating a guy in the summer or beginning of the school year only to break up in December or January. This year, the stars have aligned and I have been dating an amazing guy for almost half a year, and so I expect this Valentine’s Day to be amazing.

On twitter I keep seeing tweets of girls holding a million roses and a gift bag with all the newest Mac lipsticks. While it would be nice to have those things, I wish for something completely different. Here is what I am wishing to get for Valentine’s Day from Andrew.

To Spend the Day With My Boyfriend

We have been dating through the three biggest holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) yet we did not get to celebrate them together. Even though we will both be on campus, we both have heavy coarse loads and tons of meetings. I would love to see him and give him the biggest hug on Valentine’s Day.

To Eat Dinner Together

We don’t even have to go out. We can cook at my place. My boyfriend has been wanting to cook for me but let’s be honest, I will probably do majority of it while he assists me. He deserves to be treated too so I have no issue cooking a delicious meal for him.

Chocolate

I won’t be upset if Andrew does not get me chocolate because we will probably make a five course meal, but he does know I love it. Last time we were at the store I made sure to point out the little $1 heart-shaped chocolate boxes. My boyfriend does not need to spend a lot of money on me and I do not need to be eating a ton of chocolate.

Some Wine

I love wine. All my friends know how much I love a casual glass, and it must be from all my Italian genetics. Andrew has seen me drink plenty of glasses of wine and he know my favorite types of wine. I have even helped him find his favorites (his favorite bottles are in my top five) so I can imagine him picking up a bottle we both enjoy.

A Movie

Andrew and I love movie nights, so I will probably want to pop a bag of popcorn and lounge around. I might force him to watch a chick flick on Netflix or rent a movie neither of us have seen. The perks of us staying in to watch a movie are wearing comfy pajamas, not paying $10 for snacks, and getting to drink our wine during the show.

In my mind, this would make the perfect first Valentine’s Day with the love of my life. Even if we do not get to do everything I hope for, I am just so happy to have my wonderful boyfriend. Valentine’s Day is not about getting material objects and gifts from someone, it’s about being with the one you love so much. 

Rachael Lowe was born in northern Indiana (the Region) and was raised knowing she would be attending Purdue. As a third generation Boilermaker she is majoring in Agricultural Economics and minoring in Communications. Her passions are traveling, wine, and puppies. In her free time she likes to craft, paint, have a nice glass of moscato, watch movies with friends, and bake. When Rachael graduates in May of 2018 she plans on having as much fun as she did in college. Follow her on Instagram @rachael03
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.