Three Easy Product Swaps to Reduce Waste

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It is 2021; it’s time to start caring for your environment. This last year, I have taken it upon myself to try and reduce my waste as much as possible. My roommates get to deal with the messes I make from making my own oat milk and nut butters as well as putting up with the smell of the compost I keep out back of the house. Yet, I realize that not everyone is able to do all these things, as much as I would encourage. Additionally, these changes take time to implement. With plastic being on every packaging and what feels like everywhere, here are three products you should try in 2021 to help reduce waste.

Re-Usable Paper Towels

I just bought my first roll a few weeks ago for the house, because living with 10 girls means we use a ton of paper towels every day. For a while, I tried to use them in my compost, but it was too much. I decided to buy my bamboo roll off Amazon for $6.95. One roll is made up of 20 sheets and can be washed 80-100 times. This means you can save up to 6 months of paper towels with a single roll of this, compared to 12 double rolls of Bounty which costs 20 dollars and lasts 2-3 months. Not only are you cutting back on a ton of waste, but you also end up saving money.

Shampoo and Condition Bars

“More than 552 million shampoo bottles could be ending up in landfills every year; the number of shampoo bottles thrown out in the United States every year could fill 1,164 football fields; and. only 1 in 5 people consistently recycle items from the bathroom.”

As a fake blonde, this was a product I was nervous to buy. My hair is very damaged and very oily. But, like any other hair brand, there are a variety of bar shampoo and conditions for your specific hair needs. You can get them off Amazon, I choose the Hibar.

Re-usable Grocery Bags

I have said it once and I am saying it again. Just buy a few bags, please. It is such a waste to use the plastic bags at the grocery store. I bought 4 produce bags from Ikea for a few dollars. Any reusable bag works though, and they make such a massive difference. Many of the bags I use I had been given by different companies or from touring college campuses. I know my roommates get tired of hearing me, but I have so many, and they are so easy to just toss in your car and use. I know with COVID some places may restrict the use of re-useable bags, however, if permitted and safe I would encourage this above anything.

I am a Senior here at Purdue, studying Political Science and History with a minor in Economics. I am an avid environmentalist, vegan, and exercise enthusiast. I practice yoga, power lift, cycle, and play club soccer here at Purdue. I love reading, painting, and crystals.