Thoughts on Spring Break 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I have two words for you, spring and break. Such words work in perfect harmony this time of the year. As February draws to a close, we start to see the light at the end of the seasonal depression tunnel; our sights (and Iphone countdowns) are set on spring break vacation. Spring break is officially in order the first day back from Winter Break; friends conjure with ideas of the most outlandish plans possible. New Year’s Resolutions are set in action to achieve the ultimate ‘spring break bod’ and diets, COMMENCE! All in preparation for a spring break you’ll never remember..oops I mean forget! Word around Purdue’s campus, the hot spot (both literally and figuratively) this year is South Padre Island, Texas. Girls and guys, both Greek and non-Greek are making their journey down to the Gulf Coast to spend their 7 day vacay soaking up some quality vitamin D.

Last year, myself and five of my girlfriends roadtripped it down to Fort Myers, Florida. As soon as we arrived, we realized this was not the most “collegey” experience we had hoped for, but we made do with what we had. We partied day in and day out, making frequent (sometimes daily) stops at McDonald’s. Those of you that know exactly where that is, hats off, can we be friends? We slept three to a full size bed, rotating positions nightly so each of us had the privileged of suffocating in the middle. SO ENJOYABLE! You claim you know your friends; well I challenge you to spend 7 days straight with them, snuggled up in a sandy bed, then let me know how you feel. Temperatures rose and so did our attitudes. No, I’m teasing, what’s the good without the bad, right? It was one of the silliest, wildest, unforgettable experiences I’ve had in college, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. On second thought, I could have done without the terrible beached-whale look-a-like photo of myself on instagram/facebook. Whatever, YOLO.

This year, I opt to forgo my sun soaked skin, bikini, and spring break ready body (jk, what’s working out? I don’t do such a thing) for a more empire state of mind. My friend and I will be travelling to New York City to visit a couple of our best friends. We plan to work on our Vampira-esque skin tone by not absorbing an ounce of sunlight whilst spending all the money we’ve been saving since Christmas on expensive articles of clothing we don’t need, but feel inclined to buy because ‘when in Rome!’ er, uh, I mean, New York! We plan to get our annual dose of cultural sophistication through a visit to the MET, and you better believe we’ll be eating lunch on those steps (Gossip Girl ref). Ending our final day/night on St. Patrick’s Day, where we will be drinking, heavily, in honor of ginger friend, who will be in attendance, and fellow comrades across the pond.

No matter where it is you are going, Alabama, Arkansas, I do love my maw and…oh, side tracked, but whether it’s the beach or your bed, just be fortunate we have such a break. Out there in the “real world” (collective gag) we don’t have such a thing. So my advice to you all, live it up and have fun!