Style > Beauty

The Best Self-Tanners and Application Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As an extremely pale girl, I think it’s safe to say I know a thing or two about fake tanning. It can be really challenging and frustrating to find a good self-tan that doesn’t leave you streaky or orange. I have curated a list of my personal favorite tanning products ranging in price points as well as application tips.

1. Express Self Tan Water – Tanologist | Ulta Beauty

If you are looking for a fake tan on the less expensive side, this is the one for you. I love this product for so many reasons.  It has a water-based formula, so it also provides some hydration which I have not been able to find with other fake tanners. I ran through my bottle so fast because I was using it on a weekly basis. This product goes on clear, so you have to make sure you are applying it evenly because it takes a few hours to develop color. I love the spray applicator over a mousse because you can spray the product directly onto the skin and rub it in with a mitt. I love the color it gives because it is very natural and develops quickly.

1. Bondi Sans Self Tanning Foam Liquid Gold

Bondi Sans falls right in the middle on the price spectrum. The Liquid Gold line provides an even and long-lasting tan. It also has a coconut sunscreen smell if that is something that you like. I love this fake tan because you don’t have to shower the color guard off. It barely has any transfer, and you are ready to go after the product fully dries. The fade is super even too. I’ve never had any problems with this self-tanner.

1. Self Tan Express Bronzing Mousse

St. Tropez is a little bit pricier, but almost everything from this brand is amazing. I love the Express Mousse because you can customize the color you get. The longer you wait to wash it off the darker the tan. St. Tropez will never give you an orange tan. This one smells a little funky, but the smell doesn’t last on the skin past the first few hours. Make sure to exfoliate and moisturize any dry patches before applying this product because it will cling to dry patches if the skin isn’t prepared properly. Overall, this is a very solid fake tanner.

1. Tanologist Sunless Self Tanning Drops for Face and Body

These tanning drops are perfect for the face. I personally don’t apply any mousse on my face because it always ends up looking like a patchy mess and fades so fast. I love mixing 2-3 drops into my moisturizer at night every few days over the summer. It creates a smooth gradual tan. This one is also super customizable because you can use as many drops as you would like to deepen the tan. I have also used these drops mixed into my body lotion and loved the results. This is overall a very versatile product. The only warning I have with this product is to be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the drops because your hands will get stained orange (not cute).

For fake tan prep make sure to exfoliate and shave in the shower. Once you get out of the shower, don’t apply any oil-based products because the tan won’t stick. Moisturize the knees, elbows, and any other dry spots. The mitt is everything. Invest in a nice mitt that you can just throw in the wash after a few uses. This will ensure an even and patch-free tan. I recommend using tanning drops on the face instead of mousse, especially if you have dry skin.

Tori Rytell is the events director at the Purdue University chapter of Her Campus. She serves as the club treasurer as well as the events coordinator. Tori writes about a variety of topics with focuses on self-care, beauty, entertainment, and relationships. Aside from Her campus, Tori studies political science and business communications with a minor in law and society. Tori is involved in Greek life on campus. In her free time, Tori loves to take her dogs Stella and Max on long walks, watch Netflix reality TV shows or Suits, and spend quality time with her friends.