This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, Alex Cooper and Sofia Franklyn are former best friends and co-hosts of the Barstool podcast “Call Her Daddy”. I recently listened to a podcast breaking down the relationship between the two and what went wrong. I personally did not start listening to the podcast until the news of the feud between the two was released online for the world to see. To give a Cliffnotes version of the feud, it basically was over money, power, and control. Sofia wanted to leave Barstool and go somewhere else. She also wanted more money. Meanwhile, Alex wanted to stay at Barstool; Alex also did all the work and Sofia really put no effort into the podcast. And let’s not forget Sofia’s toxic boyfriend “Suitman”.

Fast forward a year later and Alex stayed at Barstool and has a $60 deal with Spotify and Sofia has her own podcast but it’s nowhere as successful as the “Call Her Daddy” brand. When you really take a step back and think, not only is the podcast kind of problematic, so are the girls. Not only has Alex made many fatphobic comments about women, she also gives the vibe to me that she does everything for the male gaze and definitely gives off “pick-me girl” vibes. Sofia has also made some pretty horrific comments about women as well as some racist comments but I will say it doesn’t seem like she does everything for the male gaze like Alex.

One thing that was brought to my attention after Sofia revealed it on her podcast “Sofia with an F”, is that “Call Her Daddy” is completely scripted. This was kind of interesting to me because I feel like the one thing that made this podcast sort of likeable was the way that the hosts bounced off each other and to come up with sly comments and segments on the whim. Learning that the whole thing is scripted kind of made me kind of reevaluate what was actually real on this show and what was scripted. Putting all that aside, since the split between the two, “Call Her Daddy’s” ratings are still consistent in the charts but it’s not growing as much despite having multiple celebrity guests and a bigger budget. Sofia’s solo podcast isn’t doing amazing on the charts either by the looks of it. I feel like both girls need each other. Without Sofia, Alex is just loud and obnoxious and without Alex, Sofia is kind of just vanilla. But according to an anonymous tip submitted to the deuxmoi Instagram, Alex has offered Sofia a cut of her Spotify deal to reunite to try to get the “Call Her Daddy” ratings back up. Who knows if this is actually true, but I guess we will see what happens.

Emani Powell

Purdue '22

Emani is currently a senior at Purdue University studying mass media communications and minoring in film and video studies with the hopes of becoming an entertainment journalist. In her free time she loves to read, bake, and binge any tv show that is currently trending.