Spice Up Your Spring Wardrobe Without Dropping a Cent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If there is one thing I have learned after being in college for three years, it’s that you just can’t afford to have all the clothes you want. You also just can’t change your entire wardrobe with the seasons, and the fashion forecasts are so unpredictable! What you can do, however, is work with what you have. Here are some tips to spice up your spring wardrobe and piece together fabulous outfits with understated elegance. And the best part? All you have to do is look in your closet!

1. Ribbons & Bows

Ribbons can make any simple dress look different. Pick a simple, monochromatic dress and wrap a ribbon around the waist. Voila! It cinches the waist and makes the outfit look exponentially more fabulous. For example, a plaid ribbon around the waist of a simple red dress gives it a festive touch and is super figure-flattering. Bride-to-be and future princess, Kate Middleton, elegantly sports this look, and softens her rocker-esque outfit with a delicate bow secured at the waist. And a guy’s perspective? “Something about bows and ribbons is just so hot. It makes us want to unwrap the present.”

2. School Girl Outfits

We all know that the schoolgirl outfit is one of the most repeated and beloved Halloween costumes, but you don’t have to wait till October 31 to don this semi-scandalous look. By adding a corset on top of a long-sleeved dress shirt, your standard schoolgirl outfit will go from ordinary to anything but! A corset, generally worn as an undergarment, adds the slightest suggestion while still keeping this classic look sophisticated. Our model is wearing a simple silk shirt under a red and black checked corset, creating an edgy yet preppy look.

3. Layer Necklaces

We all know that “Hips Don’t Lie,” especially if they’re a belly dancers’. I’m sure all of us, at one point or another, have wanted to copy that sexy, belly dancer look but, unfortunately, not all of us have those moves. But the one thing that’s even sexier than those hip swings?  The outfits! Here’s a way to add that sexy flair to your normal jeans-and-a-top look. Just grab a dangly, multi-layer necklace and attach it to your belt loops. A standard outfit gets completely transformed. And no, there is no harm in throwing in a couple moves if you really want to.

4. Statement Jewelry

For those of you who consider pairing chunky jewelry with a formal dress a fashion faux pas, we have to disagree. It’s a tricky look to nail, but it’s perfect for formal, fun evening events. Combine medium sized, single tone chunky jewelry to your formal dress and heads will definitely turn, not only because you look fabulous, but also because your confidence is magnetic! Just be careful not to overdo it. Try to choose just one accessory—either a necklace, some bangles, or a pair of statement earrings—to accent your look. Too many pieces can make you look sloppy, but give this look a chance!

5. Sheer, Sheer, Sheer!

Sheer is in, ladies! Not only do almost all of the top designers have sheer organza or silk sheer pieces in their spring collections, but it can it be bought on the cheap! Combining it with a simple, bottom-layer tank top can give an elegantly minimalistic look. Tip: Combine sheer with unusual fabrics like suede, corduroy, leather, etc. The contrast of the two materials is incredibly chic! In this outfit, the model has combined a navy sheer blouse with a Vineyard Vines corduroy skirt. So ditch those sweatpants and sport some sheer to class!

6. Brooches, Baby

Brooches are usually considered to be a more mature and dated accessory (early 1990s anyone?), but your great-grandmother’s vintage cameo can certainly do more for you than collect dust in your jewelry box. Pin a brooch to a scarf around your neck and make it look twice as fabulous while simultaneously securing it in place (see, fashion and function can work together!). Put a couple of bejeweled brooches on a plain black purse and see your old, sad satchel be reborn. And you thought only grandmas wore brooches to Thanksgiving dinner

7. Color & Contrast 
It’s spring, which means it’s the season of color! So don’t forget to add your own splash of color to all of your outfits. Wearing that LBD for a night on the town? Throw on some pink platform pumps and your look will instantly pop. Your standard jeans and white tank? Add an orange blazer! Go crazy with colors. If there is any time of year when it’s perfectly acceptable (and basically required) to do that, it’s now! 

Sources
Photo 1 of Kate Middletonhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-471193/Why-seeing-lot-Kate-days.html
Photo 2 of Kate Middletonhttp://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/going-out/specials/kate-middleton-latest
All other photos taken by Anu Sharma Jaiswal

Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.