This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

One thing that I have been trying to get better about is doing my part to help this Earth in more ways than just recycling. Recycling is an important step in reducing waste and giving back to this planet. But I wanted to seek alternatives for the products in my life that I cannot recycle.

Reusable Cotton Rounds

I did not realize how much I use cotton rounds until I looked at my bathroom trashcan; it was embarrassing. If you are like me and use cotton rounds almost every day buying reusable ones on Amazon not only helps the environment but helps your wallet out in the long run. You can also find plenty of DIY’s online to make some for yourself if you do not want to spend the money!

Reusable Straws

Plastic straws are too small to recycle and normally end up in landfills. I got my reusable straw for free from my bank that folds up inside a portable carrying case and even came with a cleaning brush. Reusable straws come in so many different materials like silicone, bamboo, and stainless steel.

Bamboo Toothbrush

About every three months, toothbrushes are supposed to be replaced. But, the plastic on most toothbrushes takes over 400 years to decompose. Even then plastic still never fully decomposes. Bamboo toothbrushes are a great alternative for this problem and the price (around $1.75 a brush) is comparable to a regular toothbrush.

Reusable Cups and Bottles

Reusable cups and bottles come in many different varieties including size. Now that we have reusable bottles that can roll up or flatten out to take up virtually no space, there is no excuse for not carrying one around. Next time you go to Starbucks for a coffee, bring a reusable cup and they will give you a discount. Starbucks even sells reusable cups inside their locations.

Package Free Beauty Products

The brand Lush has started selling products such as shampoo and body wash without using any packaging. You can also make your own shampoo, conditioner, and body wash if you are looking for a fun DIY.

Take Your Own Bags When Grocery Shopping

I have been trying to get better about taking my own bags to the grocery store instead of using plastic bags. Some states like California even have taxes on plastic bags. I like to keep my reusable bags in my car in case I ever take a random shopping trip so that I will always have one.

Taylor is from a small farm town called McCordsville, Indiana but has some big goals set for herself. Currently she is studying selling and sales with a management minor at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. In her free time Taylor enjoys photography and being a freelance model, traveling, spending time with her friends and family, and watching Netflix. You can follow her career @taylorbragdon on Instagram.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.