September Writer Of The Month: Anaaya Shah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The executive board of Her Campus at Purdue is very excited to announce the September recipient of our Writer of the Month honor, Anaaya Shah. Anaaya is a new member who has quickly demonstrated her dedication to our chapter and impressed us with her creativity and content. She has hit the ground running since she joined us this semester and has consistently contributed to our chapter. We are so delighted to honor Anaaya and all her hard work so far. Read the interview below to get to know our September Writer of the Month!

1. What is your name, major, year in school?

My name is Anaaya Shah. I am a sophomore majoring in Communications and minoring in Psychology. Next semester, I aim to concentrate in public relations and strategic communications.

• Where are you from?

I am from a city called Ahmedabad in India.

• How long have you been a member of Her Campus at Purdue?

About 3-4 weeks. 

• What is your favorite thing about being involved with HC at Purdue?

My favorite thing about being involved with HC at Purdue is the opportunity to contribute to a platform that empowers women with valuable insights and information related to self-care and mental health awareness. Writing for HC at Purdue allows me to connect with a diverse audience of women, sharing ideas and strategies that can genuinely improve their well-being.

• Why did you choose to join HC at Purdue?

I chose to join HC at Purdue because I believe in the magazine’s mission and the positive impact it can have on the lives of women. Being a communications major, I wanted a club that would support my passion for writing and social media. HC at Purdue provides a unique platform where I can combine my passion for writing with my commitment to promoting self-care and mental health awareness.

The opportunity to reach a diverse and engaged readership at Purdue University was particularly appealing to me. College life can be both exciting and challenging, and I wanted to be a part of a community that offers support and guidance to young women as they navigate these experiences.

• What do you like to do outside of school?

I am an aspiring digital creator on social media, especially on fashion and mental health topics. Hanging out with friends is peaceful, whether it is grabbing a meal or just some good coffee. I’m also a bit of a sunset photography enthusiast – there is something compelling about capturing those moments. And, well, I love watching Netflix because why not?

• What is your favorite class you’ve taken at Purdue?

My favorite class at Purdue has been COM 308: Principles of Persuasion. This course was a significant change for me in terms of understanding the power of effective communication and persuasion. It delved deep into the psychology behind persuasion, teaching us how to craft compelling messages, build credibility, and influence others positively. For a project, I created a website for the LGBTQ+ community and people loved it!

• If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

If I could travel anywhere in the world, I would love to see the Northern Lights. The idea of standing under a clear Arctic sky and watching those beautiful green, purple, and pink lights dancing above is just incredible. 

1. What kind of music do you love to listen to?

I listen to pop music. As my bio says, “you can’t beat her devouring love for The Weeknd, Drake, and Travis Scott”. These artists are at the top of my Spotify list. 

1. Favorite place to shop?

These days, I have been shopping at Pretty Little Thing for fancy tops, but Zara is my staple when it comes to shopping for everyday clothes. 

1. What do you want to do after you graduate?

My ultimate goal is to become the head of PR and communications at a well-established fashion magazine. I’m drawn to this role because it combines my love for fashion with my degree in communication.

1. What is your biggest goal for your future?

Honestly, I just want to make a lot of money, buy a luxurious penthouse, have the biggest closet, and smile because I’ll know I achieved everything I wanted. 

1. What is one thing about you that surprises people? (Or feel free to just put a fun fact!)

People might initially perceive me as a bit of a “badass” because of my Instagram, but I am the type of person who finds it difficult to say no. 

1. What would you tell someone thinking about joining HC at Purdue?

I would wholeheartedly recommend joining HC at Purdue to anyone considering it. This organization offers a unique opportunity to be part of a supportive community of like-minded individuals who are passionate about being themselves and empowering women. 

1. Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you?

I just want to thank HC at Purdue for this opportunity for me to convey my feelings to an audience who understands. I also want to thank the people reading my articles and helping me achieve my goals! It makes me happy. 

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.
Anaaya is student majoring in PR and strategic communications with a minor in psychology at purdue. She loves fashion, social media, photography, and is an aspiring digital creator on instagram. She is a sucker for mental health awareness and loves being an unpaid therapist. You can never go against her devouring love for The Weeknd, Drake, and Travis Scott.