Career

Psychology Hacks that will Help You Nail Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

So, you’ve got an interview soon and you’re nervous about it. Totally understandable. You’ve prepped all that you can to nail this interview, so what more can you do? Try some of these subtle psychology hacks that just might help you get on your interviewer’s good side.

Pay attention to what colors you wear

Certain colors portray certain traits. Yellow often portrays happiness and joy, purple is associated with royalty, etc. Some of the best colors to wear in interviews include:

Navy blue: Navy, or darker shades of blue in general, will paint you as a team player. Cooperative, agreeable, calm, stable, and trustworthy.

Gray: Gray can insinuate sophistication and professionalism. It makes you look like a logical person who is focused and analytical.

White: This color will make the interviewer think you’re organized, dependable, and respectable.

Some colors to be cautious of are red and black; red can be seen as aggressive and power-hungry while black suggests a want for authority. It’s not bad to incorporate these into your outfit, but definitely be wary of wearing too much of either color!

Address your interviewer by their name

A lot of people don’t address you by your name the very first time you meet. Calling people by their name subconsciously draws them closer to you; they’re instantly more interested in what you have to say and warm up to you more. The same will apply with your interviewer. Try to incorporate their name a few times throughout the interview with simple things like “I appreciate you making time to meet with me, Mr./Ms. _______!” It also helps to make you sound sincere and respectful. You can incorporate this into your goodbye’s as well to make a good last impression before you leave.

Mirror the interviewer

Now, this isn’t to say you should copy everything they do throughout the interview. Be careful not to mirror any negative behaviors like yawning, which will ultimately reflect poorly on you, and make sure to be subtle or else you can come off as annoying. Pay attention to their style of communication and adjust the way you speak based on how formal or how casual your interviewer communicates with you. Most importantly, don’t get so caught up in this that you lose the direction of the conversation!

Pay attention to body language

Body language makes up around 90% of communication, so it will tell you everything your interviewer won’t. Watch for these red flags:

Yawning: If you see your interviewer yawn, you may be boring them with long answers. Try to watch and make sure that you limit your responses to 2 minutes maximum to keep your interviewer from getting bored again.

No eye contact: If your interviewer isn’t making any eye contact with you, try to connect with them more on a personal level and sound more enthusiastic about the interview! Catch their attention in a positive way and draw them to want to get to know you more.

Looking disinterested: This can range from things to the interviewer leaning away from you instead of towards you, crossing their arms, or looking away from you. Try your best to regain their attention by saying something purposeful and interesting.

They don’t mention any follow-up: Towards the end of your interview, pay attention to see if your interviewer will mention following up with you. If not, really emphasize to them that you would love the position and want to know the next step in getting you there. Show how enthusiastic you are about succeeding with them.

Hopefully these subtle but important tips will help you succeed in your next interview. Remember to smile, stay calm, and be confident in yourself. And don’t forget to send a thank-you letter after your interview! Good luck!

Hi! I'm Michelle, a senior at Purdue University studying Brain and Behavioral Sciences with a minor in Management. I'm from Orange County in sunny SoCal. Some of my hobbies include golfing, journaling, and singing!