This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The executive board of Her Campus at Purdue is very excited to announce the October recipient of our Writer of the Month honor, Kendell Simpson. Kendell is a freshman who joined us this semester and has already left an impact with her creativity and dedication! Her writing, participation, and other contributions to our chapter have wowed us this past month, and we are so excited to give her the spotlight. Read the interview below to get to know Kendell, our October Writer of the Month!

• What is your name, major, year in school?

My name is Kendell Simpson, I am a freshman studying Communications and double minoring in Anthropology and Creative Writing. Next year, I plan to specialize in Media and Mass Communications.

• Where are you from?

I am from Noblesville, Indiana which is about 30 minutes north of Indianapolis.

• How long have you been a member of Her Campus at Purdue?

This is my first year being a member of Her Campus!

• What is your favorite thing about being involved with HC at Purdue?

My favorite thing about being a part of HC at Purdue is the community built around our chapter. I love that we can come together, and everyone can feel welcomed on campus. I also love the opportunity to write articles about topics that I’m really passionate about.

• Why did you choose to join HC at Purdue?

I chose to join HC at Purdue because I recognized a space where I could be myself and create a positive impact on those around me. I was a part of my school newspaper in high school and always threw myself into the paper, interviewing, writing, designing, and photography. When I graduated, I was very fearful that I was going to lose a spark of my personality and passion. Once I discovered HC, I was so excited about what they had to offer. I always loved these types of stories of human interest when working for the paper, and I love having the opportunity to decide what I write about.

• What do you like to do outside of school?

I am an avid tennis player and love to go hit with some friends. I really enjoy hanging out with friends, especially coffee runs and walking around Target for hours. I live for baking shows, especially Halloween Baking Championship and Holiday Baking Championship (which is almost here!!). I love to read, especially romance novels while listening to some Taylor Swift music because it pairs beautifully.

• What is your favorite class you’ve taken at Purdue?

My favorite class that I’ve taken at Purdue is ANTH 204: Human Origins. This course is such a fun experience from the start. It was instrumental in discovering my passion for anthropology and archeology. This course starts with learning the basics of the study of humankind, to primate evolution, to finally the classification of humans. It is a very interesting course that is taught by a professor who is so passionate about her work.

• If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I would love to travel around Europe, but especially Italy or Sweden. I’m currently learning Italian here at Purdue in hopes of studying abroad for a semester. I’ve also been fascinated with Sweden and its culture ever since I was little and would love to see the country in person.

• What kind of music do you love to listen to?

I am a huge Taylor Swift fan and honestly is 99.8% of the music I listen to. Other than her, I occasionally listen to Conan Gray, Gracie Abrams, Sabrina Carpenter, and Phoebe Bridgers.

• Favorite place to shop?

I’m a huge online shopper and tend to get my everyday clothes from American Eagle. But every so often I throw in some concert merch or Purdue gear from the bookstore.

• What do you want to do after you graduate?

I don’t really have a set plan for post-graduation, but the dream would be to become an editor of a magazine/large paper at a well-established company, or getting to work hands-on with publications. I would really like to work with people because the element that drew me to my communication degree was discovering that every person has something to bring to the table and share.

• What is your biggest goal for your future?

My biggest goal for the future would be to travel. I really want to experience all the opportunities that the world has for me to explore. I also would love to meet people from all around the globe and get to share our lives and culture with each other. After traveling, I would love to open a ‘farm’ where animals (specifically dogs) can be taken off the euthanasia list and fostered before they find a forever home because the real dream is being surrounded by dogs 24/7, of course!

• What is one thing about you that surprises people? (Or feel free to just put a fun fact!)

I love collecting Legos and Funko bobbleheads. Some of my fondest memories of my family involve us running through a Barnes and Noble searching for a limited-edition Marvel superhero Funko and staying up late on Christmas to finish a Lego set.

• What would you tell someone thinking about joining HC at Purdue?

Absolutely do it! This community and organization is full of kind-hearted and empowering women who want to help you succeed. You can see it in the work they put into their stories or leading us in meetings, socials, and events, and it is a joy to be around individuals who are as passionate and hardworking as the women at HC Purdue.

• Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you?

I want to thank HC at Purdue for the opportunity to get to share my stories and be a part of the community here on campus. Also thank you for letting me write about Taylor Swift as frequently as I do, very much appreciate it! I would also like thank everyone who has read my article, it’s a joy of mine to share these stories with all of you!

Thank you for reading! If you’d like to check out more from Kendell, follow her on Instagram: @ksimpson1206

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.
Kendell is a writer at the Her Campus Purdue University chapter. She's been a part of Purdue's Her Campus chapter since fall of 2023. Her favorite topics to write about include entertainment, the music industry and about her favorite experiences around campus. Beyond Her Campus, Kendell is a freshman at Purdue University, majoring in Communications with a minor in History and Creative Writing. Originally from Noblesville, Indiana, she grew up visiting West Lafayette and loves the student life. In her free time, Kendell enjoys listen to music especially Taylor Swift. She is also really into reading and loves to talk about her latest reads, majority of which involve romance. She loves to bake and back home is known for her banana bread muffins, coffee cake and chocolate chip cookies.