Wellness > Health

Living Intuitively: The Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

How does one live a healthy life? What I mean when saying a ‘healthy life’ is how we are feeding our bodies, our relationship with food, how we are moving our bodies and how that affects our day to day life. Throughout our early education, we were taught the food pyramid: you need meat for protein, eat vegetables, eat whole grains and most of all get your milk. Additionally, we are shown images of a lean male and female physique as the ideal body type and then our school system calls it a day. How do we expect the average American to be healthy and happy when they have no understanding of their unique needs? There are so many different types of diets because everyone’s bodies are different, our taste buds, cravings, metabolism, the appearance of our bodies, what we need to feel good. According to the Journal of Dairy science, “Primary adult lactase deficiency is common with a worldwide occurrence of near 70%.” We need to be teaching youth and young adults the variety of diets available to them, but to ultimately live intuitively. The idea is that you rely on your body to tell you what it needs, something that we all struggle to recognize. On the most basic level, humans are meant to eat, sleep, and move. How do we expect to have healthy and happy individuals when most people are ignorant to their body’s unique needs? You and your health should be a priority. Food is meant to be enjoyed. It is not simply ‘fuel’. It is something you should enjoy and should be satiating. With that being said, here are (in my humble opinion) the three most basic components you should work towards understanding about your body:

How to eat to fuel your body long term.

First, do your research. Don’t get advice from ‘fitspo’ Instagram, that is not everyone’s body. Health is not determined by abs or a lean physic. Listen to registered dietitians, nutritionists or take advantage of Purdue resources and find some helpful studies that discuss varieties of diets. I have been researching health, fitness, and nutrition for over two years. Give yourself time to learn and grow in understanding science and your own body. Understand your body has a ton of nutrient needs. For instance, understand things like your Macros: carbs, fats and protein. All of these are found in tons of different whole foods. Learn how much food leaves you satiated and energized. Recognize that everyday can be different. Listen to your body and your hunger cues to guide how you eat. It is important to learn how much food you need to be comfortably full. Undereating and overeating both are signs you may not be eating intuitively.

https://www.intuitiveeating.org/

https://www.abbeyskitchen.com/intuitive-eating-principle-3-make-peace-with-food/

Second, learn to cook and be willing to try new foods. As supported in ‘Food Components and Dietary Habits: Keys for a Healthy Gut Microbiota Composition’, they discuss the importance of variety to promote a healthy gut. Gut health is so connected to one’s mental health, which is why it should not be overlooked. Learning to cook has helped me in understanding what foods my body’s needs, what makes me feel good, gives you energy, and what foods do you simply enjoy eating. Not every college student has the liberty to spend a lot of money on ‘fancy’ food or groceries or to dedicate hours of our day to cooking. Being proactive about food can help to cut time, promote a nutrient dense diet and can take away from the stress of figuring out what to make. Food is a necessity. Dedicating half an hour twice a day to cook a meal will do more for your mind and body than you think.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6835969/

https://melissashealthykitchen.com/

https://www.rainbowplantlife.com/

Third, eating intuitively is a way of eating that can be sustained long term. Understand that food is not simply ‘good’ or ‘bad’, it is food! While the nutritional values differ, if something makes your body feel good to eat you should be able to enjoy it. Do not punish yourself because you like having a small dessert at night, just be mindful about over-indulging. You should honor your body by giving it the nutrients it both needs and deserves in a way that works with you.  

How to move your body.

I steer clear from exclusively saying ‘exercise’ because we can see that as a form of punishment as a result of eating ‘poorly.’ Rather moving your body is just about being active.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQJZE_on7It_pEv6tn-jdA/videos

First, the best workout is one you can sustain long term. Not everyone is a long-distance runner, maybe you like cycling, Pilates, yoga, Barre, walking, HIIT, lifting or CrossFit. Whatever way you choose to move your body is amazing, not only from the basic health benefits, but when you move your body you feel better.

Second, don’t be afraid to try new things. I love cycling, rock climbing, lifting and CrossFit. I have found a way to incorporate all those types of movement throughout my workout week at varying degrees. There is room for balance in your life, you need to be willing to find it. Exercise to honor your body, it can do so much for you when you give it the tools.

Learning to love your body.

I said learning because this one is the hardest. While none of these topics can be wrapped up in a short paragraph, this topic is especially difficult. We all struggle with body image, but through taking time to learn your body it can help in creating a better mind space and help in positive body image. Feed your body because it deserves the nutrients and to feel better both physically and mentally. Move your body because you want to honor your body. When you are exercising think about how incredible your body is for being able to finish that workout, lift that weight, climb that route, or run that far. Love that your body is different from everyone else, both in how you look and your own unique needs. Be patient with yourself, your diet is going to evolve the more you learn allow yourself to embrace these changes. These things take time, but even in a busy 21st century world, there is always time for yourself, if you make it.

I am a Senior here at Purdue, studying Political Science and History with a minor in Economics. I am an avid environmentalist, vegan, and exercise enthusiast. I practice yoga, power lift, cycle, and play club soccer here at Purdue. I love reading, painting, and crystals.