This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Although college is a time to explore and experience new things, it’s important to step back and say no at times. Saying no has always been a huge struggle for me because I don’t like to disappoint people or turn them down. But after two years so far at Purdue, I’m starting to get the hang of taking time for myself and telling people no when I need to.

When I come across an opportunity to join a new organization or go hang out with my friends, there are a couple of things to consider before saying yes. Between extracurricular activities, classes, and work, I have begun to think about how much free time I actually have. It’s so easy to just say yes and forget about everything I have to do. Normally, this ends up in me racing to get everything done in time. Because of this, I started prioritizing my time and spending it actually finishing the stuff I need to get done. Thinking about how much work I have to do and how long it’s going to take me to finish my work is super important. Without fail, I always underestimate how long it takes me to finish studying and complete my homework which is why I like to schedule a time to do all of it.

Another part of saying no is finding the right way to say it. In today’s world, finding a way to not offend others has become a mantra. I find that just being honest and explaining everything I have going on is best. Through learning to say no, it’ll be a good way to take time for yourself and the work you have to do, especially because no one else is going to know what you have to do better than yourself.

All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.