Keeping an Open Mind: Racism on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

In virtually every college group, organization, team, and class, there will be a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and races represented. With the world shrinking with every new social media site and technological advancements, it becomes more and more important to be aware of different backgrounds and cultures.

After several racist incidents on campus in the past six months, Purdue is pushing for a more open, understanding campus.

Here are a few ways that you can challenge yourself and learn about a new culture.

Visit one of the Cultural Centers.

Purdue has the largest international population at a university. The campus is home to the Black Cultural Center, the Latino Cultural Center, and the Native American Educational and Cultural Center. Each of the centers has its own history concerning how it came to be and how students use the space. Some classes require that students visit at least one of the cultural centers. I know it can be tiring (especially when you’ve been to the same center for multiple classes), but keep an open mind and go in wanting to learn something new.

Attend a cultural program.

Like dance? Check out a performance by Purdue Raas or Jahari Dance Troupe. If music is more your thing, check out Purdue Convocations to see if any international groups are visiting. Almost all departments and schools have visiting scholars that give lectures. Check out the English department if you’re into literature or the Art & Design department if theatre or artwork appeals to you.

Take a trip.

Study abroad isn’t just for seeing new sights. Take a semester or year to try living in a different country. Immersing yourself in a different culture is one of the quickest ways to learn about it. You might be surprised by what you find. Other cultures have stereotypes about Americans as well, so it would be an enlightening trip for you and your Host University or family.

Talk it out.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you’re curious about something, ask someone. It is always better to ask and look like a fool than to act on the stereotype and be a fool. Just remember to keep an open mind and don’t get defensive if the person you ask gets defensive or asks you questions as well.

In such a global environment, you can almost guarantee that you will work with people whose race, culture, and background is going to be different from yours. It’s better to work out any problems and questions you have now than to wait until it’s too late. Keeping an open and inquiring mind is the easiest and most effective way to combat racism in today’s society.

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.