Kate Henry: Mentor & Leader for College Mentors for Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Meet Kate: She’s a fashion enthusiast, coffee shop queen, and talented head-stander.  But when she’s not planning out future outfits, she’s putting some time back into the West Lafayette community by working with Purdue’s College Mentors for Kids.  Read on to learn about her experience working as a mentor and a leader in CMFK.

Name: Kate Henry
Year: Sophomore
Major: Fashion Merchandising
Hometown: Fishers, Indiana

HC: Tell us a little bit about College Mentors for Kids:
KH:
College Mentors for Kids is an organization where kids come to Purdue for about 2 hours once a week and hang out with a big buddy and a buddy family of ten people! I am the general manager of 4th grade. These kids are underprivileged and we teach them about college so hopefully one day they want to go too!

HC: What is your position in the organization?
KH:
I’m the general manager of 4th grade, 10 big buddies and 10 little buddies.

HC: What made you want to become involved in CMFK?
KH:
One girl my freshman year told me about it and I knew I wanted to get involved!

HC: What’s your favorite part about being in CMFK?
KH:
I love hanging out with the kids! I love having fun with them each week and teaching them that Purdue rocks!

HC: What is the most challenging part?
KH:
Sometimes dealing with the kids is tough, but the program is so rewarding that it is all worth it!

HC: How can other people get involved in CMFK?
KH:
People who are not in the program can donate and participate in the walk at the end of the year! Or apply and interview each semester!

HC: What other hobbies/activities keep you busy at Purdue?
KH:
At Purdue I have a job at The Port Cafe in Lawson and I enjoy hanging out with my friends and doing crafty things!

HC: One thing on your Purdue Graduation Bucket List:
KH:
Slide down Slayter, Breakfast Club, Boilermaker Special, and fountain run! I have a lot to get going on!

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.