James Douglas Camanse ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

You might recall Nalu’s lively face as the cheerful Hawaiian guy’s you’ve seen on campus. The energy around him is electrifying and you can’t help but feel happy and alive in his company. A thorough multitasker, Nalu is involved in so many things around campus it would be no surprise if half of Purdue’s student body knew him personally. Not only is James the president of his fraternity, he also founded it (an accomplishment not many can boast)! He is also an Old Masters OMPO and coaches a youth baseball team in his free time. Boy, he really does it all doesn’t he!? In spite of his incredibly impressive list of achievements, James is as humble as they come. Ladies, meet this week’s campus cutie; this Hawaiian native is definitely one of a kind.

Name: James; they call me Nalu
Major: OLS
Minor: Entrepreneurship certificate
Hometown: Lahaina, Hawaii
Relationship Status: Single
Things you’re most involved in: President of my fraternity, Phi Kappa Tau; advertising rep for the Exponent; head coach for youth baseball team

HC: You founded your fraternity. What separates you from the other Greek fraternities? What made you found it?
NC: We do a lot of community service and philanthropy; that makes us stand out a lot. The reason I founded it is because I like leadership. It’s a great experience to start something from scratch; one day I want to start my own business.

HC: Bucket List:
NC: Start a family.
Learn to play guitar.
I want to meet the Queen of England.
Eat legit spaghetti in Italy.
Attend the La Tomatina festival in Spain.

HC: Why did you choose Purdue?
NC: It’s something different. I wanted to leave Hawaii but stay in the States.  I liked their aviation program—that’s what I came for initially.

HC: Is Indiana much different from Hawaii?
NC: For the most part, people here are the same—easy going and sweet—so I basically feel at home.

HC: What is something you most cherish in life?
NC: The friendships that I make. I’m pretty big at spending time with people. It’s hard to live without people and I’m definitely one of those guys.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?
NC: Sense of humor, beautiful eyes, and she should be caring. (Also, if) she enjoys being around kids (or) something to do with kids.

HC: Girl trend you just don’t understand:
NC: Uggs, definitely. I like most things though, even when girls give you drama.

HC: Things that you love about a girl:
NC: I love when they dress up, especially skirts and high heels and I also like when girls wear dresses, not pants so much. I love feminine girls.

HC: Favorite way to spend a weekend:
NC: Just relaxing at home. I don’t mind sitting at home and watching movies or hanging out in a park out doors (and) just not schedule a single thing.

HC: Favorite sports teams:
NC: Milwaukee Brewers, New Orleans Saints, San Antonio Spurs

HC: Pet peeves:
NC: Unzipped backpacks with stuff hanging out.

HC: An embarrassing confession:
NC: The first day that I wore my brand new grey suit, I ripped a hole in my pants and had to hide it all day long. It sucked because the suit cost a fortune!

HC: Perfect date:
NC: A dinner I’ve cooked, and we’re just sitting and watching the stars after we have dinner. Very low key.

HC: Deal breaker for a girl:
NC: Smokers. Rude. Hates children.

HC: Dream job:
NC: CEO of my own aviation company.

HC: If you won a million dollars, how would you spend it?
NC: This is going to sound corny, but I’ve thought about it: give 20,000 to my mom, 20,000 to my dad, 20,000 to aunt, 20,000 to my grandma, and 20,000 to my uncle. I would put money in savings for my sisters to go to college, pay off my own loans and my brother’s loans. And save the rest for my family. Probably spend 100,000 on a nice new car and probably go on a vacation.

HC: Do you have any regrets in life?
NC: I don’t. I don’t like the idea of regrets. I’m a happy man.

HC: How do you feel about being Campus Cutie?
NC: Awesome and honored. I was really glad to be considered. 

Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.