Interview with Austin Reed: Boiler Tracks President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Many students think it’s impossible to be involved with everything you want to do on campus and still keep your sanity. But that’s exactly what Austin Reed, a junior in Computer Science, with concentrations in Systems Programming and Software Engineering is accomplishing. He is a member of Global Science Partners an organization that brings national and international students together to share and learn cultures, an ambassador for the Office of Admissions and he gives tours around campus. Additionally he’s a panel member for Community Standard Board, which is a part of the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities where he sits in on hearings of cases of student conduct violations. He even mentors four Purdue freshman and tutors a high school junior.

However, he says his involvement in Boiler Tracks has ultimately made his years at Purdue worthwhile, as well as helped him grow immensely as a person. Boiler Tracks is an organization that reaches out to minority middle and high school students to teach them about college life and the admission process. As the president of Boiler Tracks, Austin has worked hard to help expand the organization and their outreach.

HC Purdue: Why did you decide to join Boiler Tracks?

Austin: “Boiler Tracks students worked an event called Our Purdue which was the event that solidified my choice to come to Purdue. So before I was even on campus I wanted to be a part of Boiler Tracks and have that effect on other prospective students.”

HC Purdue: What is it like interacting with young prospective boilermakers?

Austin: “Talking with prospective students is one of the best things I get to do on campus. It is always a new, fun experience. The 7th and 8th graders typically have no idea what they want to do and even less of an idea of what college is like, so answering their wild questions is always great. The juniors and seniors are closer to college so the conversation can be more detailed and catered to their interests. No matter what age they are, it brings such a great feeling knowing that they look up to us and aspire to join us here at Purdue and know it can be a home to them.”

HC Purdue: What’s been most challenging about being president?

Austin: “I believe it’s challenging overall being a president in any organization and with Boiler Tracks it isn’t any different. It is difficult to manage school work with organizational duties. Last year before becoming president, I learned the hard way that I was overcommitting to my organizations. Now as president I’m better at balancing but I still need to make sure I’m putting enough effort into my organizations as well as my studies. I think the second hardest part is the paperwork that needs to be turned in for events. Events can easily be thought up and the Boiler Tracks family is always there to help but the paperwork and policies slow things down a lot.”

HC Purdue: Why do you believe students should join Boiler Tracks?

Austin: “For our members, Boiler Tracks offers a home away from home and a family to rely on. We support each other and want to see nothing but growth among our members. For perspective students, it is important to feel a sense of community and belonging. Boiler Tracks is made up of diverse students that our guests can identify with and see that they can belong here. We get to be honest and share the students’ perspective of Purdue which is something families find extremely beneficial.”   

HC Purdue: What’s been your favorite memory with Boiler Tracks?

Austin: “Two events stand out for me. The first one is Our Purdue 2014. This was the event that introduced me to Purdue, set me up to be successful here and allowed me to meet the people I call family today. The other is Boiler Tracks Day which we held last semester. It was the first time we hosted the event. It shows the growth of our organization as we are newly recognized and now we have an official event through the Office of Admissions named after us.”  

HC Purdue: What’s coming up next for Boiler Tracks?

Austin: “We had a bake sale in front of Class of 50 Nov. 4 which went wonderfully; I’m grateful to everyone who came out! Tomorrow we have Explore Purdue which is an event that is welcoming 550 guests to Purdue and we get to spend the entire day with them. I’m very excited as this is our first event of the year! Tuesday November 8th we are having a meeting to reflect on the event and see what went well and what didn’t. With regards to other aspects of our organization, we want to reach out to other organizations and collaborate. We care deeply about diversity, inclusion, and Purdue; we would like to come together with other organizations that have the same goals and share resources.”

HC Purdue: How has being involved with Boiler Tracks changed you?

Austin: “Boiler Track didn’t just change me, it made me. Before Our Purdue I had a hard time finding my own identity as a biracial student and feeling like I belonged. From the moment I was driven to Purdue by Derrick Williams and still to this day, I have not been looked at as different or an other. I was instantly accepted and had a community here. Before Boiler Tracks, I had no idea what I wanted with my life. Now that I’ve been a part of Boiler Tracks, I know that I want to continue my work in supporting underrepresented minority communities within academia. I often joke about taking open positions in the Office of Admissions and every time I do, my role-models/mentors tell me it’s achievable. It’s simple things like that that mean the world to me, allowing me to pursue my goals. Boiler Tracks taught me to listen to students who tell me they want to pursue a goal and tell them “it’s achievable” and know that together we can get them there.”

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.