Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Perfect Vision Board to Make all Your Dreams Come True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The end of the year is approaching and with it comes crunch time for accomplishing New Year’s resolutions that you may have been putting off until now. It’s time to finish the year strong, and the perfect way to do just that is by creating a vision board.

What is a vision board?

A vision board is a visual collection of images, quotes, and magazines that represent your goals. You may have seen them in the form of a poster board or, my personal favorite, a Pinterest board. A vision board can either be physical or digital, the choice is yours, but the main purpose of a vision board is to help you manifest your desires more easily by offering up a visual image of what you want to achieve.

How does a vision board work?

A vision board works because of the law of attraction. In simple terms, the law of attraction is a universal law that states that the energy you put out into the world comes back to you x10. By cutting out images that represent your goals and putting them on a poster board or adding them to a digital collection, you can attract that energy of the image back to you. For example, a picture of a degree that you hope to earn can help activate your subconscious and bring that energy back to you, confirming the outcome you desire, which is earning the degree. Jack Canfield, author of Chicken Soup for the Soul series and contributor to The Secret, a famed law of attraction book, says “They help you activate the law of attraction and attract the people, resources, and opportunities you need to achieve your goals and make your dreams come true.” With spoken affirmations, it can be easy to doubt ourselves or for that tiny voice in our heads to express disbelief, but with a vision board you can just do something as simple as looking at a poster board every day and watch the magic happen.

How can you make one?

There are no rules when it comes to piecing together what you want your life to look like. There are some guidelines you can use, however, to turn these thoughts into a vision board. First, start off by writing down the things you want to achieve. Maybe revisit your New Year’s resolutions or some of the things you’ve been putting off. You can have different categories as well such as

career goals, romantic goals, or anything else that comes to mind. Second, find pictures that reflect these goals and speak to you. For example, if one of your goals is to have better style, you can cut out pictures of runway outfits and glue them onto a poster board, to feel inspired every day when you look at it before getting dressed. Or you can scroll through Pinterest and create a how you want to dress board for easy access to fashion inspo. Third, remember not to limit yourself. Hit all areas of your life that you want to expand or improve upon and don’t sell yourself short. There’s no such thing as a “realistic goal” when it comes to making a vision board. I mean, Elle Woods would read law books while running on the treadmill to visually affirm her goals, so why can’t you accomplish what you want as well? Finally, update your vision board from time to time. The things you want can change, and that’s okay, but make sure to remove or delete any pictures or quotes that don’t resonate with you anymore for the best results.

If you’re in a creative rut or you just need a general life redirection, then I suggest getting to work and piecing together the perfect vision board catered to your desires, whether it’s in the form of a poster board, a collage, or scrolling through Pinterest.

Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Aleyce Green

Purdue '26

Aleyce Green is a sophomore at Purdue University, majoring in Creative Writing and Communication. This is her first year writing for hercampus and she is looking forward to more! She likes to write about anything and everything, however, she leans more towards writing about lifestyle and entertainment such as topics related to manifestation, academics, movies (specifically chickflics and romcoms), and beauty. She hopes to get more into fashion so she can write about that too! This is her first time having her writing published. She also hopes to have some of her fiction published one day as well since she is a creative writing major. Branching more into the world of journalism would also be ideal. When she isn't writing for hercampus, you can find her snuggled up in her dorm room reading a book or binging a tv series. Her latest binge being 'The Summer I Turned Pretty' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher'. Her hobbies include fencing, writing, and spending time with her friends and family.