kissing booth 2 long distance?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kissing booth 2 long distance?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Netflix
Life > Experiences

How to Maintain the Flame of a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Like many others, as the semester progresses, I have been working to maintain my long-distance relationship. As college students, many of our significant others are back home and you want to keep the special bond you have with them. While I don’t have all the answers to keep that flame alight, I have a few tricks that I have used during the few years I have been committed in my long-distance relationship!

• Maintain communication

Communication is so so so important for long-distance. If you don’t have communication, what do you have? This doesn’t mean that you have to be talking 24/7 but make sure to check in with each other regularly. For me, I try to facetime my significant other at least once a week so we can catch up on the other’s life and just chat about our week.

• Trust is essential

Long-distance can seem daunting and impossible at times but if you have trust and commitment, you can make it work. With that said, trust is absolutely necessary if you want your relationship to work, long-distance or not. If you don’t trust the other person, your relationship can easily become controlling and toxic. However, if they have given you reasons not to trust them, remember that trust is earned, not given.

• Give each other something of yours

This may seem cheesy but let me tell you, having something of your significant other’s is very soothing when you feel lonely. For me, my significant other gave me a hoodie to take with me to college. I personally wear it when I am feeling alone or overwhelmed and it helps me think about my relationship and calm down. In exchange, I gave my significant other some handmade bracelets to wear to think of me. Really, this can be anything to help the other person think of you.

I hope these tips helped. This list is not exhaustive but these are a few things you can do to keep the romance alive in your long-distance relationship while you are off at college!

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.