How to Study and Hopefully Pass Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Exam season has officially been sprung upon us! Maybe that is why October is called spooky season? Anyway, I know trying to study for exams is always difficult and overwhelming so here are some tips and tricks which will hopefully help you and me pass our exams!

Don’t Procrastinate (At least try not to)

I am especially guilty of this. You keep saying oh I’ll study later and then before you know it it’s midnight the night before your exam and you’re still up studying. Do yourself a favor and just start studying a week or two ahead. The sooner you start the better off you’ll be so that you won’t be cramming everything you’ve learned so far into one night.

Color Code

Color coding your notes will help a lot in the long run, but if it’s already too late for that now then highlight while you study. Highlighters will become your best friend. As you are studying if you keep messing up a certain concept or word highlight it. That way right before the exam as you’re looking over your notes you can see the bright yellow mark and remember to look over that one because you had a difficult time with it.

Treat Yourself

If you have an entire chapter to read give yourself rewards throughout. For example, once every ten pages or so give yourself a little break and a snack. Overworking yourself and forcing yourself to read an entire chapter while it is the last thing you want to do will just result in you not remembering any of what you just read. There is also the reward method, leave a piece of your favorite candy, say a starburst, after every few paragraphs so that you have something to look forward to and work towards!

There you have it! Hopefully these little tips will help you pass exams and if you’re reading this instead of studying please go look back at number one and go study! Good luck on exams!

Harlie is from a very very small town in Indiana and is a freshman at Purdue majoring in Studio Arts and Technology. She enjoys reading, watching movies, painting, and saying stupid jokes. You can most often find her laying in bed ignoring a huge pile of homework and watching Netflix. Follow her college adventure on Insta @harlie.garrett
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.