How to NOT Gain the “Freshman 15”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Hi! I’m Katie, a previous writer, but new blogger for Purdue’s chapter of Her Campus! This past May I graduated with my bachelors in Public Health and am currently working on my second degree in Nursing. I have a love for all things health related, but especially nutrition and fitness, so this semester I will be sharing my passion and knowledge with you all as well!

The first topic I wanted to tackle is something that everyone has either had to deal with or has at least heard of and that’s the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen.” While it may seem that it isn’t a concern to you, it is a real possibility, so I’m going to share some ways to fight of those lbs!

Walk to class. We have a great bus system here at Purdue taking you anywhere and everywhere you need to go on campus and off campus. While it may be tempting to use every day, you can burn some serious calories just walking to and from class along with keeping your muscles toned and cardiovascular system healthy. Invest in some cute Sperry’s for those longs walks or Hunter boots for rainy or snowy days we all know will be here soon enough, so you’ll never have an excuse not to walk!

Don’t eat everything at the dining court. I know it’s tempting. I lived in Wiley my freshman year so of course I made the make your own pizza or pasta multiple times a week from the Wiley dining court. While moderate amounts of these two meals won’t pack on the pounds alone, adding breadsticks that are around 150 calories each and the endless amount of pop and ice cream can definitely rack up the calories. Stick to grilled, not fried or breaded meats, for your meals and make sure you add veggies and fruit as well. Those pop machines can get you too, so make sure to have a glass of milk at each meal before you drink any pop, and try to stick to diet if possible. Want to splurge on a delish pepperoni pan pizza for dinner or Earhart’s awesome stir fry? Take advantage of the salad bars available at each dining court for lunch.

Utilize the new co-rec & Purdue rec sports activities.
How could you NOT want to go to this gorgeous gym every day? I’m beyond excited for this brand new facility and will write a future blog post about all the amenities and resources it holds, but seriously, use it! It’s a short walking distance from every dorm and will have more than enough room to host many students. Find a group of friends to go with and make it fun! Group X classes or intramurals are a great study break opportunity that you can enjoy with your sorority sisters or best friends. Schedule your workouts in your Mortarboard or planner so that you’ll make time for them each day and make sure to block out that time for them.

Keep healthy snacks around. I’m obsessed with Mad Mush’s cheesy bread just as much as the next person, but if you turn to that every time you study you’re going to be in trouble. Be careful about what all-nighter study snacks you have because sometimes they can add up to an extra meal in themselves! Stick to Low-Carb Monsters or iced coffees for your energy kick and keep healthy snacks such as Greek yogurt, pretzels, fruit, baked chips, or Fiber One brownies on hand.

Watch your Den Pop intake. I know, blasphemous words right? I’m a self-admitted Den Pop addict and have at least one every other day, but I always make sure to stick with Diet Coke or Diet Mountain Dew. One 44 oz pop hosts a whopping 400-500 calories. That’s about a fourth of your recommended caloric intake for the day! To spice up your Diet Coke, add a splash of Cherry Coke or Barqs Red Creme Soda or add some Fanta or Hi-C Pink Lemonade to Diet Mountain Dew.

Be extra conscious of your alcohol intake. While binge drinking is never encouraged, a night of throwing them back can really throw off your nutrition and diet intake. A typical beer usually has between 100-150 calories per 12 oz while a shot of hard alcohol holds between 70-100 calories for 1 oz. 70 calories may not seem like much, but when added to a mixer of pop or juice, that value can go up to 200+ calories per drink, not to mention an absurd amount or sugar and caffeine. Monitoring your alcohol intake will not only help keep you safe, but your body will also thank you in the long run.

Hope this helps all you new Boilermakers and even some upperclassmen as well! You can reach me at khanyzew@purdue.edu if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions for future blog posts!

Nutritional information obtained from myfitnesspal.com.

Photo Credit:
http://www.empirates.net/scales-for-every-job/
http://www.alisonsweeney.com/post/avoiding-the-freshman-15

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.