How to Celebrate Thanksgiving in a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Unfortunately, due to the corona virus, Thanksgiving is going to be a lot different this year. I know most of the state’s governments have banned families from gathering, Thanksgiving is going to be celebrated under different terms. Personally, as cases surge, my family have decided to stay at home and protect ourselves and my fellow family members. It’s disappointing. For the first time in my life, we’re celebrating the holiday at home. If you’re in the same position, here are a couple of ideas to celebrate Thanksgiving at home!

Food Please!

Have a little Thanksgiving feast of your own. Have each family member create a dish and have a little competition in the kitchen. Put a tablecloth on your table and have all the food set around. Dig in!

Zoom It Up!

Get your computer and zoom your extended families while you’re eating and pretend you guys are all together. Or have a fun Friendsgiving and have a quiz night over zoom with your pumpkin pie!

Have A Game Night!

Thanksgiving is all about spending time with your family and appreciating each other. A great way to spend the day together is by playing games. My family have decided to have a game night with all our favorite board games to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Get Active!

Start the day off with hiking or walking around the park with your family. Maybe go bike-riding or sight-seeing the leaves, whatever it is, it will be a good start to Thanksgiving.

Start Christmas Early!

I’m one of those people who only celebrate Christmas after Thanksgiving. Maybe after your meal, you can decorate your house and put up your tree. Maybe end the night with a festive movie and hot chocolate.

Even though thanksgiving is going to a lot different this year, you can still celebrate the holidays with your family. Have a good thanksgiving!

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.