Life > Academics

Homework Hotspots For On-Campus Students

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

With over 200 places to do homework on campus, I asked Purdue students where the best spots are. Here’s the scoop.

Being ranked #43 in the nation and #17 for all public universities, Purdue students have some big shoes to fill (usnews.com, 2024). With countless hours of homework, studying, reading, re-reading, and studying some more, we need suitable environments to keep us locked in. Purdue offers coffee shops, libraries, and over 160 academic buildings on campus with general seating hubs for students to take their pick from.

As a senior, I’ve spent my fair share of time making my rounds at the various study hot spots, quickly deciding on my favorite and least favorite places. I was curious, though, about other Purdue students’ top picks and the pros and cons of them, so I decided to go out and get word on the best and worst spots, and compare the results to my personal opinions. This article walks through the highest reported areas to do work on campus, and my opinions towards each of them.

Wilmeth Active Learning Center

Oh dearest WALC, you could never disappoint me. The second floor silent study room was the most frequent response I got in my data collection, and for good reason. The name “silent study room” sums up the noise levels for this area. Besides the occasional cough or imbeciles discussing Python, it is dead silent. Complete with ample outlets at each table, comfy single seats placed in front of floor to ceiling windows directly facing the bell tower, and sufficient opportunities to people watch, this study space is ideal for long hours of mental labor. For all my temperature oriented people who can’t study if it’s too hot or too cold, this room is perfectly clement all year round, even with the large windows. The only complaints reported from students is the competition for seats during midterms and finals, but if you pay attention to the time and go 10-15 minutes before the next round of 50 minutes classes start, people clear out and head to class, so you should be able to grab something!

Campus Coffee Shops – Greyhouse vs. Vienna

This article comes to you from the over-caffeinated hands violently typing away in Greyhouse. Definitely high on my list, Greyhouse on Northwestern gives a very classic coffee shop atmosphere. I find myself here way more than I can afford, but the thought of my large Dr. Strangelove, steady chatter around me, and the thick buzz of the frothing machine create an environment with just enough stimulation to go into the homework trance. I received many positive comments about this place as a study spot. In an interview I conducted with an anonymous Purdue Student, they noted that Greyhouse feels like “a very classic city coffee shop, perfect for getting in the work mindset.” For me personally, I tend to avoid any heavy exam studying here, as the noise and chaos can make retention difficult. However, I have cranked out some of my best homework assignments and research papers here. One complaint from students is that it’s sometimes difficult to grab a seat, especially during the afternoon rush and busy weekend hours.

Vienna, while only a few feet from Greyhouse, offers a slightly different feel. While I heard less buzz for this coffee shop than for Greyhouse, Vienna, nevertheless, has that chattery, lively coffee shop environment most college students love, but more “grungy”, as one student put it. Vienna, with its outdoor metal tables and chairs placed under a sizable, shady tree, has come to be known to be a smoking hot spot. It attracts all the men with mustaches and the leather jackets – 5 points for each one spotted! – and a much chattier, social environment. One big complaint about Vienna is that there are few outlets. Most of the seating is long tables in the middle of the shop, none of which have a place to plug your computer in. This makes it difficult to do very much homework there, which usually steers students away. Other than that, Vienna is a fairly good place to get some cheap, delicious coffee and grind out your assignments.

Purdue Memorial Union

The PMU: a saving grace on campus. I heard nothing but overall positive feedback about the Union. With dozens of places to sit, eat, get coffee, grab a snack, or be alone, it’s all here. The basement consists of dozens of seats surrounded by food vendors that accept meal swipes, fireplaces, Starbucks with a stage for occasional live music groups, open mic karaoke, a piano, and more. I personally don’t get much good work done on this floor because I often find it too hectic and loud. I like to pop down for lunch or a snack, but am not very productive here. Upstairs is a different story. These quiet spaces with couches, tables, and huge fireplaces are my go to winter homework spots. Unfortunately, my favorite room near the main staircase and the scale model of campus is currently undergoing renovations and is blocked off, but I can guarantee I will be the first one back in there when it reopens. Students remain fairly quiet in this area, and the overall feel is very cozy. I find it beyond easy to concentrate on more in-depth assignments and get in my groove here.

HSSE Library – Stewart Center

Because I work in Stew I have spent countless nights after my shift in this library. There are three floors to choose from: The first floor is home to more than 70 available work spots, desktop computers, study rooms to reserve, and the Purdue Writing Lab. Usually, I stick with the main floor, especially if I’m meeting a friend here. As this is not a silent library, light chatter is common and I find this subtle background noise to be useful in concentrating. But if that library environment isn’t your thing, the next 2 floors are located in the stacks and tend to be much quieter spaces. The one downside of these upper levels are the hours: I have heard from other students who spend more time up there that the 4th floor closes at 4:30, while the 3rd floor and main space close at midnight – just something to keep in mind if you’re looking for a late night space. Altogether, Stew library is never too busy or too loud and is a classic for a late library study session. 

The above mentioned study locations are just 5 spots out of hundreds Purdue has to offer. Other favorites of mine that weren’t mentioned are Rawls, Krannert, Hicks, and the Mathematical Sciences library. Other unique areas to get work done are the Jedi study room and Dudley/Lambertus Hall study rooms. So, while the hours upon hours of homework continue to suffocate Purdue students, at least we have some dope places to rot! Find what works for you, try out new places, and don’t stick to the same spot for too long. A change of environment is sometimes all your brain needs to get out of a trench and back in the groove. 

Source:

Purdue University–Main Campus – Profile, Rankings and Data | US …, 2024, www.usnews.com/best-colleges/purdue-university-west-lafayette-1825.

Riley Eaton

Purdue '24

Hey, I'm Riley! I am a Purdue senior studying Law and Society with minors in Psychology and English. I live in Connecticut, and coming to Purdue was my first time in the Midwest (So. Much. Corn.) Along with Her Campus, I am also involved in College Mentors for Kids as a student mentor, and work at the Registrar's Office as an intern. Outside of school and work, I fill my spare time at the gym, reading through my overflowing book shelf, and re-watching The Office on loop for the 100th time. As much as I try not to be, I am a totally weird Harry Potter adult (books are better than the movies, you cannot prove me wrong) and a Disney addict.