A Farewell I Never Saw Coming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

At this time you are most likely finishing up your finals, or are taking a break in the library trying to overview the last chapter you need to look at for your exam. Maybe you are a senior, graduating and are taking the next step of your life. Perhaps you just finished your freshman year; so sad that it is over but anxiously waiting your second year in college. Wherever you stand in your college career, I hope that you have made some wonderful memories. As one of my favorite quotes by Abraham Lincoln goes, “It’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years”.

As senior year quickly approached, I realized the importance of that statement. To all my younger collegiate peers, may I enrich you with advice to enjoy your precious time here at Purdue University. Senior year goes by very quickly with nerves setting in about what comes after college. Let me warn you how much time it does take to go through interviews, setting up your resumes, and researching companies to find one that fits you. Let me also warn you that not all outcomes are good. However, what is life without mistakes? You will make mistakes—but you will also learn from them. I truly believe that there is a plan for everyone. I look back at experiences and realize that certain aspects in my life wouldn’t have happened had I not gone through a specific time. People will come and go, bad experiences will bring new ones, and just as one door closes, another opens.

If I have learned anything from college, attitude is everything. Remain optimistic, put in hard work, and you will see outcomes. Haven’t you ever noticed when you smile at someone, and they smile back, your day is a little better? Wake up everyday feeling blessed and be thankful for the people in your life. However, don’t just acknowledge it yourself, but let them know. I feel that the little things really do mean the most and this is something I want to put towards the rest of my life.

Maybe this is the first time you have ever read one of my blogs, or maybe you keep up and know I’m interested in beauty, fitness, and fashion. Perhaps you know me so well that you know me on an everyday basis. Whatever the case is, I want to say this in my last article as writing for the Her Campus Purdue branch:

Besides education, Purdue University has filled me with friendship, love, and laughter. It may or may not be ironic that I find these three words to be the most important words that anyone should fill their life with. This is why Purdue University is, was, and always will be my home. May you enjoy the moments, live and learn, and create everlasting friendships. Your time here will soon end and my only wish for you is to leave saying it was the best experience of your life yet. To my graduating seniors, I wish you the best as I know we will come out enriched for our future endeavors. For my younger collegiate peers, enjoy the moments.

HCXO,

Brittany Cole

Photo Courtesy of Brittany Cole 

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.