Exercise Through Electronics: Amazing Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I’ve only had my iPhone for a few months, but have gone completely app crazy! I’m always looking for the most practical and entertaining applications to get me through the day.

Lately I’ve been utilizing two fitness apps which I have become obsessed with! They not only make tracking my workouts and progress easy, but they also give me motivation to get out there and get going.

Couch-to-5K ($1.99)

I’ve recently started the “Couch-to-5K” program and am three weeks in. I heard about this workout before finding the app and wanted to try it. This application gave me the motivation to start. The program builds each week and utilizes intervals of switching between walking and running.

Instead of having to keep track of your intervals on your watch or iPod, this app has a “trainer” guide you through your run and will tell you when you’re supposed to start and stop jogging and walking. It also allows you to create a playlist to listen to while you run which I couldn’t exercise without!

After each run, it will log a map of your distance, your time, pace, and you can rate how you felt. The next time you log onto the app, it will automatically bring up the next pre-planned workout for you. The wonderful organization of this app is really what made me chose to use it over other similar 5K programs available.

Nike+ Running (Free)

I use this app along with the Couch-to-5K app when I run. What I like most about this app is that it keeps track of your number of runs, overall mileage, calories burned, and average pace. Other features include a map of your run, time of day, surface on which you ran, information on if you ran more or less than last time along with faster or slower, and keeps a log of each individual run.

It also lets you play music through the app and has a really cool feature that lets you chose which Nike shoe you’re running with and then “retire” it when you get a new one! One last advantage of using Nike+ Running is it keeps track of all your records – longest run, fastest 1K, furthest run, and more!

Definitely a great feature for the competitor in you! If you’re not training for a 5K and just love to run, I’d definitely recommend utilizing this app!

Photos From:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/couch-to-5k/id448474423?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nike+-running/id387771637?mt=8

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.