Covering COWBOY CARTER

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As many may know, Beyoncé just recently released her eighth studio album titled Cowboy Carter. This album is the second part in her new three-part project. This project began with her album titled Renaissance. Today, I will be giving my thoughts on her newest release!

While I have never been a huge fan of Beyoncé, I have been obsessed with a few of her songs in the past. Despite this, I decided to try out her new album and review some of the songs!

Let me start with wow. I am thoroughly impressed. I am writing this review as I listen to this album for the first time. Keep in mind, I have never actually listed to a whole Beyoncé album the whole way through so we will be doing this together! Starting with “AMERIICAN REQUIEM”, I like it. It isn’t my favorite but I am absolutely obsessed with the way she belts out the words “american requiem”. The way she sings those words just hits different.

OH MY LORD. Her rendition of “BLACKBIIRD” has left me SPEECHLESS. I really enjoy the original song “Blackbird” but I honestly think that I like her version better. The way she harmonizes is absolutely breathtaking. Her voice is so smooth and complements this song perfectly.

The lyric “Underpaid and overwhelmed” has to be the most relatable lyric I have ever heard. It is only three words yet she hits home with this line. This song “16 CARRIAGES” has some beautiful and heartfelt lyrics. As for musicality, I love the way she says “fears” in each chorus. It just tickles a special spot in my brain. I, also, really enjoy the message about the loss of innocence that is embedded in this song. Truly a work of art.

As for the song “PROTECTOR”, I do not have too much to say. I do think it is very sweet and the lyrics are eloquently written. I also really like the guitar in the background. Overall, it is not my favorite so far.

Ok, I officially have a new favorite on this album. “MY ROSE” takes the cake. Granted, like I mentioned previously, this is the first time I am listening to the album and I am going in order, but so far, I am obsessed with this song. I love the musicality, the lyrics, the notes she sings, and literally everything about this song. I just wish it was longer! My favorite lyric by far would be “so many roses but none to be picked without thorns so be fond of your flaws, dear”. Absolute work of art.

I can’t believe that she actually got Willie Nelson on this album. Wow.

I truly believe that “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” is the song of the summer. I think that everyone will be singing this song in the car for years to come. The beat, the chorus, absolutely iconic.

I don’t have much to say about “BODYGUARD”. I think this song does a great job highlighting her vocals in the outro and it is musically nice to listen to. Overall, I think that is all I have for this one!

GUYS. THERE IS NO WAY SHE GOT DOLLY PARTON ON HERE TOO! I CANNOT STAY CALM.

OH MY GOD. The transition between “DOLLY P” and “JOLENE” has taken my breath away. I have always loved the song “Jolene” by Dolly Parton but I have to say that I also thoroughly enjoy Beyoncé’s new rendition on the song. The lyrics are masterful, intense, emotional, strong, eloquent, and beautiful to listen to. I love this adaptation of this song and I truly think that Beyoncé more than pulled this off. I was a little concerned once I saw that she was doing this song since it is so iconic, but I think she did a wonderful job!

I love the musical instruments in the background of “DAUGHTER”. I think the background music complements her voice very well and together they form a beautiful melody. The classical instruments really tie it all together for this piece.

This may be controversial but I do not really like “SPAGHETTII”. I don’t know what it is but it was just meh in my opinion. Many of the songs on this album are deep, musical, and eloquent, but this one was so different. Some of the lyrics were really fun but some of the lyrics felt lazy and forced. Don’t come for me but this was definitely not my favorite.

I really enjoy the chorus of “ALLIIGATOR TEARS”. The lyrics and the way she sings them hits different. That’s all. On to the next one!

Willie Nelson is back folks! Wow. Speechless.

As Beyoncé once said, “And I just, I need to get through this Or just get used to it”. This lyric is absolutely masterful. I have no words. This is the second time a lyric on this album has had me at a loss for words. Halfway through this album and I think I have been converted to a Beyoncé fan. Back to “JUST FOR FUN”, I love the way her and Willie Jones harmonize. It is so beautiful to listen to. This song really spoke to me. The message was wonderful and I think everyone should listen to this song.

Hold up! Miley Cyrus is on this album too! I’m stunned. Guys, wait! The way these two women sing the word “shotgun” together has to be the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. I love the way the two of them sound together. Miley’s voice was meant for country-esque music and she really pulls this song off. After hearing “II MOST WANTED”, I think that these two artists should collab on more songs in the future. I am obsessed with this song. You can’t stop me.

The beat of “LEVII’S JEANS” is so fun. I can’t help but dance around to this beat. This is by no means a serious song and I love it. The placement of this song on the album is so good. The fact that Post Malone is on this one too is fantastic. I feel like this is a whole new side of Post Malone that I have never seen. His voice is so soft and melodic. “In this crazy world, you’re the best of things” is so cute. I love these lyrics. Overall, 10 out of 10. This is such a fun song!

The guitar in “FLAMENCO” is gorgeous. That is my only comment. On to the next song!

I am not going to lie. I had to look up who Linda Martell is because I have never heard her name before. If you are reading this and also don’t know Linda Martell, she was the first successful black female artist in the country music genre and the first black woman to play on stage at the Grand Ole Opry. Beyoncé including her on this album is truly iconic.

I love the musicality of “YA YA”. The background music is so fun and catchy. Her belting of the lyrics is absolutely stunning and so fun to listen to.

Oh, hi, Chuck Berry.

I like the use of an eagle in the opening of “DESERT EAGLE”. That was fun. Moving on!

I don’t know what I was expecting from “RIIVERDANCE” but it was not at all what I was expecting. It was pretty repetitive but overall it was ok. This is not one of my favorites on the album but it isn’t bad either.

I really like the chorus of “II HANDS II HEAVEN”. Her voice is so beautiful and really give life to the lyrics.

“I don’t want him back, but I can’t let him go”. Yet again, another soul-crushing lyric. She hit this lyric on the head with “TYRANT”. I have to say the background of the music combined with her voice is like magic. The chorus of this song is addictive to listen to. I have no other way to describe it. I absolutely love this track.

I really like the background music of “SWEET HONEY BUCKIN'”. It seems very familiar to me but I cannot tell where I feel like I have heard it from. Either way, I like it. I also thoroughly enjoy how she formatted this song into three parts. All three parts had something to the add and it was so unique. I really like this one.

Last one! We have finally made it to track 27, “AMEN”. This song was a great way to end and tie together the album as a whole. Wow, just wow.

Ok, I have officially listened to my first whole Beyoncé album. It was an absolute ride but I truly enjoyed this album. I think I have officially been turned on to Beyoncé after listening to all 27 of these tracks. There were so many emotions and her lyrics were beautiful. I highly recommend listening to this whole album as it is truly an exquisite experience.

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.