The Broke Girl’s Guide To Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

College students typically try to cut back on spending too much money. We debate whether or not cold medicine is really that necessary, buy used text-books, shop at thrift stores and consignment shops whenever possible, and of course there are the days when ramen noodles are the only thing to hit our stomachs. College can really put a limit on the amount of money we have available to purchase items that are beyond the “essentials”. For some of us, make-up doesn’t quite make it to the “essentials” list, and for others like myself, we can’t go a day without it. As for the girls who purchase make-up regularly, I’m sure we can all agree on one thing: the money we spend on make-up adds up quick. Whether you’re a Sephora addict or someone who does their shopping on the cheap side, keep reading below for products that are easy on the wallet but that still get the job done.

Eyeliner: E.L.F. liquid eyeliner is my favorite cheap go-to product. It’s great for creating precise, perfect winged eyeliner. Plus, it’s only $2; what a steal!

Lips: I recently came across a new make-up brand that everyone online was raving about called COLOURPOP and I can definitely see what all the hype is about. For only $6 you can buy an incredible matte lipstick that is very vibrate in color. I’ve recently bought a few for the beginning of the semester and I’m BEYOND pleased with this product. Also look out for sales, they have a few going on right now!

Concealer: Concealer is a product I used to struggle to find. It seemed like every inexpensive concealer I could find simply did not get the job done. This past summer I ran into Hard Candy’s $6 Glamoflauge concealer. It does a great job at covering up those little flaws, and can even go as far as covering tattoos. I watched my friend cover her tattoos with the product and I was shocked at how well it worked. It can be a little heavy, so just remember a little can go a LONG way with this product!

Foundation: Maybelline’s Fit ME! foundation and poreless powder are great products. I love these products because they really do fit my skin color. When it comes to inexpensive foundations it can be difficult finding a product that matches well, and this one has been a life saver. If you are like me, extremely pale, I highly recommend getting this Maybelline’s Fit ME! foundation and poreless powder in the lightest shade. The foundation itself is roughly $6-7 depending on the store, and the poreless powder is only $4.99!

Eye Shadow: I’ve tried many different brands, but I have to recommend E.L.F.’s eyeshadow. I’ve yet to have any issues with this brand, as the colors are vibrant, and blend fairly easily. Also, you can even get whole palette’s for only $10. I happened to have the palette shown below, and I absolutely loved it!

Kathryn is currently an undergraduate student at Purdue University transitioning into studying aeronautical engineering technology. When not studying she enjoys going to the gym, modeling, and going out with her friends.