Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

BROKE AND OUT OF RAMEN? Here’s some help: Ace Campus Food Pantry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Life happens. It’s a fact. It happens to all of us. Sometimes after paying rent, tuition, book fees, and that unfair parking ticket, you find yourself a little short at the end of the month. What’s the first thing you cut back on? For most college students, the answer is food. If you commonly find yourself having to make the choice between paying for incidentals and paying for food, this article is for you.

First, here’s why it’s a big deal that you’re not getting three square meals a day. According to a study published in the American Academy of Pediatrics, students who don’t eat a balanced diet experience significantly lower test scores and impaired ability to get along with other peers. In addition, worrying about where your next meal will come from creates stress on top of everything else you’re worrying about. Simply put, hunger ruins your ability to focus, and it makes you cranky.

But never fear! The Ace Campus Food Pantry is here to save the day! If you’re worried about where your next meal might come from, don’t. There is help, and it is judgement free and discrete. The Ace Campus Food Pantry is in the basement of the Baptist Student Foundation, located at 200 N Russell St. If you’re a landmark person, it’s right across the street from the new Honors College dorms. The food pantry is open from 2-6 PM every Tuesday. The only thing you need is a Purdue ID. You will find many non-perishable food items available on the shelves for you to take home.

Still not convinced? Well, I went and tested it out for you. I promise you the hardest part of the whole process was finding the basement of the Baptist Foundation. Once I found it, I handed a volunteer my ID. She wrote down my ID number and explained to me how many items I could take with me. I picked up two items, showed them to the volunteer, and went on my way. They also offer discrete, black bags to carry the food in, if you need one. The whole process was very easy, and not even for a second did I feel uncomfortable. Later, I learned this atmosphere is by design.  

The Ace Campus Food Pantry strives to create a safe, judgement-free space. While talking with the Marketing Coordinator, Jessica Piene, and Volunteer Coordinator, Lauren Hibbler, I learned this is very intentional. Jessica and Lauren agree the food pantry has an, “open door policy.” Stating, “We’re here for everyone.” It turns out, their hard work creating the Ace Campus Food Pantry is more needed than most know. The Hunger on Campus Report, from the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness, shows that 48% of students from a sample of 3,765 in 12 different states reported being food insecure in the last thirty days.

If you are a part of the 48%, please don’t hesitate to get help. Life happens to all of us, and you are not alone. Go get some food. You deserve it. Your stomach, your brain and your friends will thank you.

Annalee is a freshman at Purdue University studying Agricultural Economics.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.