This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

At the end of an exhausting day, filled with a never-ending amount of homework and readings, my favorite thing to do is put on a movie and relax in bed. Here are my go-to favorite movies on Netflix that I highly recommend watching on your next movie-night. 

1. System Crasher

I’ve watched this film a myriad of times. As a German-language film, it’s an excellent movie to watch regardless of the language barrier. This film stars Helena Zengel as a traumatized and violent nine-year old yearning for love and safety. Tip: As someone that speaks German, watch this film with English subtitles, not in English audio.  

2. Pieces of a Woman

Truly a masterpiece. Starring Vanesa Kirby and Shia LeBeouf, this film chronicles the evolution of grief and its effect on this seemingly perfect couple.

3. The Lost Daughter 

Directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal, this film is truly captivating in every sense of the word. Olivia Colman, one of my favorite actors, stars as a complicated professor who becomes fixated on a mother and her daughter during a vacation in Greece. 

4. The Kindergarten Teacher

My love for Maggie Gyllenhaal is never-ending. Portraying a kindergarten teacher, Gyllenhaal becomes obsessed with one of her students, leading to an inexplicable journey to self-acceptance.  

5. Level 16

If you love indie science-fiction films, this one’s for you. In a bleak academy that teaches young girls the virtue of humility and patience, two students uncover the gruesome purpose behind their training and resolve to escape. 

6. Fractured 

This movie is truly a mind-bender. As a father with an injured daughter, Sam Worthington becomes convinced a hospital is hiding something from him. I highly recommend this film if you’re looking for a jaw-dropper that has you reeling for days. 

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.