This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

This year’s Halloween is extra special, because it falls on a blue moon! Since we’re getting this bonus full moon in October, I figured it’s the perfect time to share my tips on how to get started using crystals around your home and in your daily life. (The full moon does play a part, but we haven’t gotten there yet.) 

For background, crystals are used to help “heal” a variety of ailments, such as anxiety. Some are said to act as talismans, providing protection. Others are used simply to purify and combat negative energy. There are even crystals to help with your love life! Chances are, you will be able to find a crystal to suit your needs.  

There are still disputes about how they work, or if they even work at all. Some say that though people may notice benefits, it all comes down to placebo. Others say that the energy field surrounding crystals can actually interact with your body’s own energy field, if you are nearby. Just like everything in the universe, crystals vibrate at their own fundamental frequencies. These frequencies allegedly affect the vibrations in our bodies and help stabilize them when we undergo stress. There’s some quantum physics used to explain it, but I’ll just leave it as “magic”.  

To get started, you need to get ahold of some crystals! If you’re on campus, Von’s has a great selection. If you’re at home, you can look online, find metaphysical shops nearby, or search through your mom’s jewelry box. Crystals can be used just as loose stones or in jewelry. Some people are picky and only use unpolished, but I think polished is fine.  

If you have any specifics as to what problem or benefit you want your crystals to focus on, it’s best to look up which ones would be good for the job. If you want just a general or broad collection to get started, here are a few stones I recommend: 

• Amethyst – calming and protective; many people sleep with amethyst under their pillow or at their bedside. 
  • Clear Quartz – clears the mind and provides clarity; I usually wear this as a pendant to keep it with me throughout the day. 
  • Rose Quartz – the love stone; promotes self-love and love towards others. 
  • Fluorite – helps with concentration and creativity; this is a good stone to keep around while you’re studying. 

Crystals can be kept around the house or carried with you in your pocket or as jewelry. It really depends on the stone and what you want it to do for you. For specifics, there is a ton of information online.  

Last thing, after you get all your crystals, you have to know how to take care of them. Crystals must be cleansed and recharged after a while, because of all the negative energy they may be absorbing. This step is crucial in restoring your crystals to their natural state. There are a number of ways to do this, but I usually just leave them out overnight during a full moon! (Yes, this is how it related to the blue moon.) You can also use some special stones, like selenite, to clear others. Another common practice is smudging, which uses smoke from burning sage (usually) to clear your crystals.  

That really is all you need to know to get started. For more detailed information, there are plenty of resources online or in books. Hopefully, you decided to give crystals a try and feel more peaceful, protected, and grounded! 

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.