Be Like Ms. Val – The Director with the Soft Tone and a Big Stick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Ms Valorie Winn is not untouched by the trials of life. At age 16, her mother passed away, leaving Ms Val as a problem solver and mother to 7 siblings. Although at a trying period of her life, Ms Val remains grateful that God orchestrates things to work together for our good. It is with this mindset and heart that Ms Val runs the DeFremery Park of Oakland, California.

For 44 years, Ms Val has been a committed servant of the people at the Defremery Recreation Center which was the former meeting place of the Black Panthers. Now the Director of the community center, Ms Val has the daunting job of introducing and maintaining several after school and family programs like a free cooking class. She describes her job as working with families to build and enjoy relationships with one another.

Upon inquiry, Ms Val divulges a touching experience of a young man who walked into her office holding two balls. “You taught me not to steal,” he said. This middle-aged man had found the balls outside in the park and brought it inside the center for safe keeping. After chatting with the man, Ms Val came to realize that the man had been one of her community-center kids 35 years ago. I was personally touched that a mundane instruction of not stealing had come back around to reunite two individuals.

The philosophy of this woman who was recently honored by the city of Oakland for her service, is to treat people how she would like to be treated. She favours correction over punishment. As such, she steers clear of micromanaging her staff or putting people “on blast.” Additionally, she deals with patrons and community members with such grace and compassion that is unparalleled. “It is my prayer that I am being who He wants me to be at all times,” she says as we conclude our discussion.

Ore Otegbade

Purdue '20

The Perfect Imperfection. Ore's life is a journey to attain beauty and excellence. Follow her quest on IG @MsVersatileBeauty
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.