5 Romantic Comedies That Every College Student Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I love romantic comedies. Actually, let me make myself more clear. I RECHARGE AND GAIN JOY from romantic comedies. From ages 12 to 18 I have compiled quite the list of romantic comedies that have earned mad respect. Below is a fraction of that list. In this article, I have decided to grace you readers with only those that I claim that all romantic comedy loves should attempt to watch. 

Now let’s dive headfirst into some good ole lovable, artificially written love:

Love Actually

Love Actually is a GRADE A, QUALITY CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE. In it, are multiple love stories AND multiple heartbreaks, that all seem to connect in the end. The best part is that you’re so invested in all the characters, that you actually and genuinely route for them. This is the type of movie that I have no problem watching over and over again because I end up loving the characters more and more.  Plus, it’s mastered giving it’s watchers that warm, fuzzy Christmas feeling. It’s the whole reason I connect snowy nights with the start of something romantic. 

Jerry Maguire

This movie is for those who typically hate romantic comedies. What I love most about this film is the subtle emotion. It’s such a touching story. I don’t even know how to describe it. It’s a comeback story, one with an underdog, both romantically and generally. Still, regardless of the fact that this movie isn’t solely a romance, the love story in this movie is A1. AND I DON’T SHELL OUT THAT TERM LIGHTLY. Bridget Jones Diary

This movie kills me. It’s perfect for college students who feel like their life is a mess. I think that’s why I like it. It’s too relatable. Bridget Jones is a woman who’s trying to get her life together in the most borderline cringe-y, funny way. Not only that, it has one of the best lines, “I like you very much. Just as you are.” Plus, it’s got one of my favorite movie soundtracks, LIKE EVER. 500 Hundred Days of Summer

While most classify 500 Hundred Days of Summer as a romance movie, I don’t necessarily agree (I’m still including it on this list though). To me, this is a MUST SEE MOVIE, especially for college students. The way I see it, it’s a story of a guy growing up. It shows him painfully, but surely, learning to take L’s in his love life and, not only that, learning to move on. Additionally, the movie captures the idea of falling in love in such an interesting way. Tom, the main character loves in such a realistic, immature, yet big way. Everyone has something to take away from this film when they really, really think about it. Seriously, this is a must-watch movie. Sleepless in Seattle 

The reason I have this movie here is not necessarily because it packs such a noteworthy amount of psychological depth, but rather because it’s a complete romantic classic. For goodness sakes, it stars the romantic comedy OG’s: Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. It’s such a perfect reference in terms of love and romance and anything else lovey-dove-y you can think of. It’s about taking a chance on true love and fate. It’s about following signs until you reach your “soul mate.” Seriously, watch this. It’s an OG romance movie and it’s not melodramatically done.To be honest, I could literally go on and on and on about movies that all romantic comedy enthusiasts should watch. In this article, however, for the sake of all five of you reading, I definitely limited the list. I seriously encourage you to watch these though! Happy romantic comedy watching!

Victoria Coats is a freshman at Purdue, majoring in Industrial Management with a concentration in Science! She enjoys romantic comedies and long walks to the fridge. Also, fun fact, if you go to your nearest thrift store, you'll probably find her there!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.