5 Netflix Shows to Watch When Hungry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

When I’m hungry, something I love doing is watching food shows while I eat. My favorite place to find food shows is Netflix.

There’s always something food related to watch and I love following all the places they visit. Here are five of my favorite food shows to watch:

1. Salt Fat Acid Heat

This is somewhat of a brand new show, where it focuses on four essentials to cooking. The show is made up of four episodes with each episode based on one of the necessities to cooking: salt, fat, acid, and heat. It follows Samin Nosrat to four different countries to learn everything she can about how each of the essentials are made and used in cooking. There are so many things about cooking and ingredients that I’ve learned just from watching the show.

2. Ugly Delicious

Ugly Delicious has been one of my favorite shows of all time to watch on Netflix. In this show, Chef David Chang dives into the history of some of the most iconic foods of the world. Along for the ride, his friends and colleagues join him and discuss how each food is made and the importance of it.

3. Somebody Feed Phil

In each episode of the show, Philip Rosenthal travels to different cities trying food and meeting locals. His expressions and reactions to the food he tries are super entertaining and fun to watch. I love seeing where he travels and what he decides to eat.

4. Jamie & Jimmy’s Food Fight Club

I just started watching the show and I’m in love. Jamie Oliver and Jimmy Doherty open a cafe, share their favorite recipes for the weekend, and invite a celebrity to come to cook with them. Within each episode, Jimmy Doherty even shows how to DIY some of the things used in restaurants such as a pizza oven and ice cream maker with items such as a wooden barrel. They also focus on battling an important issue, food waste. Jamie and Jimmy travel to different farms and try to help them find new markets to sell food that supermarkets don’t want such as “ugly” vegetables.

5. Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown

Anthony Bourdain was an amazing person who was able to showcase different foods from all over the world. It was heartbreaking hearing about his death, but the impact he has made in the food industry by highlighting different cuisines is incredible. In this show, Bourdain travels to different countries trying signature dishes.

You can’t go wrong with any of these shows as they’re all amazing and get me in the mood for eating. Not to mention, every time I watch an episode from one of these shows, I get to add another place/country to visit to my growing list.

All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.