3 Chocolatey Valentine’s Day Desserts

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Need something sweet to bake this Valentine’s Day? Try one (or all) of these simple desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Ahhh, Chocolate. Always there to comfort, never there to judge, and forever there to make me question any self-control I once thought I had. But, what better time to indulge in these devilish cravings than good ole’ Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re riding solo this year, watching “The Notebook” with your girls, or spending it with your partner/situationship, a tasty, chocolatey dessert is a must. Here are three simple sweets to whip up on V-day ;)

Red Velvet Cookies

Ingredients:

• 1 box red velvet cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • Chocolate hearts

Instructions:

• Add cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Stir until a dough forms
  • Place dough in fridge to chill for 30 minutes
  • Scoop out dough and roll into balls. Place on baking tray
  • Bake in preheated oven at 350F for about 15 minutes
  • While cookies are still warm, place a chocolate heart (or any bite sized chocolate) in the center of each
Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies

Thank GOODNESS for this recipe from Domestically Blissful. They’re everything you could ever want in a brownie and more.

Ingredients:

• Brownie box mix (My all time favorite: Ghirardelli)
  • 2 packages of 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 6oz raspberries (about 1 cup)

Instructions:

• Preheat oven + make brownie batter according to box instructions. Set mix aside
  • Beat cream cheese at medium-high speed until light and creamy. Blend in sugar, eggs, vanilla extract
  • Puree raspberries (or smash them into a mush if you don’t have a processor). Combine with sugar mix
  • In a 13×9 baking dish sprayed with oil or lined with parchment, pour brownie mix (reserving 1/4 cup) evenly on the bottom of the pan
  • Cover brownie mix with cheesecake mixture, adding dollops of brownie and cheesecake mix as needed. Swirl mixture with a toothpick for marbled pattern
  • Bake 25-30 minutes uncovered (until almost golden), then for another 10-15 minutes covered with foil (or until a toothpick comes out clean)
  • Let cool and enjoy!
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes with homemade frosting

If you’re feeling lazy, feel free to make this with box cupcake mix. If you’re looking to test your baking skills, Chocolate with Grace serves up this amazing recipe and gives the ingredients & instructions for an amazing homemade batter!

Ingredients:

• Any boxed chocolate cake mix (Betty Crocker is my forever go to)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped strawberries
  • 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar

Instructions:

• Bake cupcakes according to box instructions. While cooking:
  • Combine the softened cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add chopped strawberries
  • Slowly add the powdered sugar beating continuously, until the consistency is right for frosting
  • Frost the cooled cupcakes as generously as you’d like
  • Add anything on top! My favorite cupcake toppings: sprinkles or a chocolate covered strawberry
Riley Eaton

Purdue '24

Hey, I'm Riley! I am a Purdue senior studying Law and Society with minors in Psychology and English. I live in Connecticut, and coming to Purdue was my first time in the Midwest (So. Much. Corn.) Along with Her Campus, I am also involved in College Mentors for Kids as a student mentor, and work at the Registrar's Office as an intern. Outside of school and work, I fill my spare time at the gym, reading through my overflowing book shelf, and re-watching The Office on loop for the 100th time. As much as I try not to be, I am a totally weird Harry Potter adult (books are better than the movies, you cannot prove me wrong) and a Disney addict.