This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Who doesn’t love their birthday? I always looked forward to celebrating my birthday as a kid. As soon as it was a month from my birthday, I would start counting down the days. I would make sure my whole family knew what I wanted for my birthday. I would eagerly wait till the day I could open all my presents or have my birthday party with all my friends. As I grew up, my birthday became more of a day to spend with family and friends and be grateful for all the wonderful things I had or experienced over the last year. So, in honor of my 21st birthday this month, I would like to share 21 things I have learned over the years.

1. You are #1! Always prioritize your wellbeing and growth. It is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.
  2. Cherish every moment with your loved ones
  3. Follow your own dreams. Never pursue anything without your own ambition and drive
  4. Say “I love you” as much as you can. You never know what it means to a person or when you will get to say it last.
  5. Read more books…or at least strive to do so. Knowledge is power.
  6. Pay attention to all the little things your parents try to teach you. I wish I had paid more attention when my mom was trying to teach me how to fold a fitted sheet:/
  7. Know your worth and don’t ever let anyone treat you less than that.
  8. Not all relationships are meant to last. Sometimes people need to come in and out of your life to teach you a lesson, give you a little hope, or lend support for a temporary amount of time.
  9. Don’t hang on to people that drag you down. Surround yourself with those that make you feel good about yourself and push you to the next level.
  10. Your future career is not everything! Consider your future family, adventures, milestones, and ambitions as well.
  11. A strong romantic relationship does not always mean that you must be “head over heels” for that person at all times. Long-lasting, healthy relationships take hard work, commitment, humility, and loyalty. It is easy to fall in love, but it takes work to stay in love.
  12. Work hard, play hard! You can be young, ambitious, and fun!
  13. ALWAYS have a playlist to hype yourself up handy. Sometimes it just takes a little music to get you into the groove.
  14. Invest in yourself. Whether it is through money or time, if you have the means to do so, invest in things that will further your mental and physical health.
  15. Look good, feel good, do good! Always dress to impress yourself.
  16. Choose your words kindly. You can be firm with your words without causing destruction and hurt to others.
  17. Be present. This means physically and mentally. Show up to as many life events as you can, you won’t get those times back and they are not easily replicated.
  18. Don’t lower your standards for a boyfriend or girlfriend. Losing yourself in a relationship is never worth it.
  19. If it still bothers you after 48 hours, speak up within 24 hours. Don’t let burdens grow to the point where you lose important relationships in your life.
  20. Write down your goals, you’ll remember them better.
  21. Take things one day at a time. Be patient with yourself. Good things come to those who wait and are persistent.

I hope that you were inspired by some of my lessons, or it at least got you thinking of some important things that you have learned over the years. Birthdays are a great time of reflection to look back on all your growth. Be proud of who you are, where you came from, and where you’re going! Now, if you excuse me, I think I deserve a little celebratory drink and birthday cake for all my hard work over this past year. Cheers!

Shanise Buford is a junior at Purdue studying Finance with a concentration in Data Analytics. Originally, she is from Plainfield, IL. In her free time, she enjoys thrift shopping, exploring new coffee shops, cooking for friends and family, and going for walks.