This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It is the beginning of a new year. There are many insights and deep thoughts and resolutions floating around. Like me, you are probably stirred to write out “NewYear-NewMe” resolutions. Keep in mind, though, that statistics show that 80% of people abandon their New year resolutions by the second week of February (Business Insider) … how long will you stick to yours? Let me know how you progress through the year!

For me, it is the time for learning, and the season of care and comfort. Hence, the title, “2019, I’m taking off those six-inch heels.” I recently heard an impactful illustration of time and season using the analogy of traffic. It went thus:

Imagine you’re in traffic… people will change lanes because they assume that one lane is faster than the other. Some exhibit road rage because, let’s face it; no one likes traffic, no one likes stagnation. Guess what, though? We all get to our various destinations sooner or later. I mean, the ones who kept changing lanes, some might arrive at their destination faster, some might arrive later. Regardless of arrival time, all will get to their destination. But by simple logic, the inconsistent lane-changers are more prone to accidents.

I have used this traffic situation to show that in life, each person has a lane. Each person is on a journey to a different destination. Each person will arrive at their destination at the appointed time but each person, at some point in their life, will go through a season of traffic. A season of storm. A season of what appears to be stagnation. Tying the traffic illustration to the topic of 6” heels, there was once a season where all I wore were 6” heels. This was my season of fashion over comfort. It was my season of subjecting my self to the pain associated to wearing tall heels and then limping or feeling sorry for my legs afterwards. It was my season of discovering who I am, outside of the clothes and shoes that I love.

This year, this new season, I am switching up my 6” heels for slightly lower, more comfortable heels. I remember the season where I never wore wedges. In fact, I once returned a gift of wedge-heels! Now, wedge-heels are my bestie (lol). Since I have discovered, and still discovering who I am, I have shifted to a season of care and comfort. A season of patience and consistency. A season of.. “those 6-inch shoes are super duper cute but man, do I really need to buy that? Would I actually wear them, or will it be eye-candy for me?”

My decision to wear lower heels in this season of my life stems from the realization that I don’t need to put myself through pain just to be fashionable. It is from the realization that I am enough. The realization that a thoughtful, meaningful smile is far superior to sexy clothes and 6” heels on my feet. It is from the realization that shoes are a sort of accessory. Shoes are to complement my whole outfit, an outfit that is a representation of what I am feeling or who I am.

Realize that each person is at various times and seasons in their lives. Each person goes through the season of, using the shoe metaphor; wearing flat shoes, wearing low heels and wearing high heels. Regardless of the season you currently are in, ensure you are comfortable and happy. Enjoy the season. Enjoy the traffic. Care for yourself by singing, playing music, making new friends, meeting up with old friends, or be like me and get rid of those high and uncomfortable 6” heels! Haha.

Ore Otegbade

Purdue '20

The Perfect Imperfection. Ore's life is a journey to attain beauty and excellence. Follow her quest on IG @MsVersatileBeauty
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.