As “Hair” Hits the Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Since last semester, Egypt has overthrown its government, Japan has been rocked by a crazy earthquake, and construction has moved from one inconvenient spot on the mall to another.  Now, Purchase is faced with a new question.  “What’s going on with ‘Hair?’”

Sophomore drama studies major Laurie King is our answer to this burning question, having taken up the roll as director and producer.  The show “Hair,” which has the rights, the music, and a cast overflowing with talent, is ambitiously set to go on April 22 and 23 in the Dance Theater Lab.

The production of the full-length Broadway musical was originally the idea of freshman Misha Schmidt, who proved to be in over his head.  Over this past winter break, after hearing that Schmidt dropped the show and was cancelling “Hair”, cast members approached King and asked her to take on the job- no small task, considering musicals outside of the conservatory are few and far between.  She agreed.

King has since foot the bill for the whole of the play, including the $510 rights.  She eventually fired Schmidt from the production entirely, where he had been working as the musical director, and hired Mark Oleszko, a music student at Pace University, whom she pays. 

Oleszko is well worth his paycheck, running through half the score in a single two hour rehearsal – an impressive feat considering there are over 30 songs in “Hair,” tripling that of most Broadway productions of its time. 

“I really think that this is a show that speaks to the Purchase campus, because it’s so different,” King said.  “The more I read it and the more I listen to the music, the more interested I am and the more I realize, this is a powerful show.”

In the drama studies department, a senior project typically entails directing a one hour play put on in the Humanities theater, and having the performance graded.  But when you tackle “Hair” in your sophomore year, the idea of topping it can be a challenge. 

“Next year, I plan to put on two shows.  I don’t think my senior project will be able to top ‘Hair’ as far as grandiosity, but I have some ideas up my sleeve.”  Though trying not too look to far ahead as she concentrates on the task at hand, King says she might like to attempt “Into the Woods,” a Stephen Sondheim musical. 

“I’ll be honest, if I could be in a musical, I would be there so fast, I can’t even describe it,” King admitted.  “I love music, can’t read it, can’t sing it, not a musically inclined person. But I love it.”

Through the months that have preempted opening night, King has hit her fair share of bumps.  Cast members are dropped, added, rehearsals are rescheduled, leads lose their voices, not everyone gets along, and not everyone is on time. 

She brushes off the thought that something, anything, might stop her. 

“Fingers crossed.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst.”  She smiles, pauses, and takes it back.  “I never do that though, in reality.  I plan for the best.”

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.