Freshman Athlete and All Star Rachel Perrone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Rachel Perrone has only been at Purchase for a year, but she’s already made her mark, as a student on the Dean’s List and on the women’s basketball team. She’s been named Purchase’s athlete of the week numerous times this year, and women’s basketball rookie of the week by Skyline Conference three times. The soon-to-be anthropology major freshman has received many honors, including recently the Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Award. 

How did you get into basketball?          
I started playing basketball around second and third grade.  My family is really into sports and my mom signed my sister and me up for a lot of clinics and teams when we were little for different sports, even dance.  Basketball just became my favorite and as I got older, I started playing on teams year round.

What did you want to be when you were you were a kid?
When I was little, I wanted to be a veterinarian.  Once I actually learned all that went along with it, I changed my mind!

How does it feel, winning all of these awards?
I’m proud of myself, because just like everyone else it’s nice to know that you’re doing something right. I love knowing that I’m contributing to the team and doing well in school and it helps boost my confidence!  But, I’m modest about my awards and never really talk about them.  Until our team wins the championship (next year hopefully!) I won’t be overly proud because a championship is worth so much more to me.

What’s the best part of playing basketball here?
My favorite thing besides actually playing is getting to live with my team.  We have so much fun and get to know each other so much better than teams did in high school.  It just makes the experience of playing a college sport ten times better.

Do you have a favorite thing about Purchase?
My favorite part of Purchase is the entire atmosphere.  I loved it as soon as I saw it, and I like how the people are so easygoing and talented. Also, my high school had four thousand kids, so this is a perfect size for me.  The only thing I would change is how so many people are anti-sports! I mean, you don’t have to love them, but a little more interest would be nice!

Anything we wouldn’t know about you?
Random people wouldn’t know that I’m a twin.  Jess plays here too and is definitely a huge reason why I try so hard.  We’re really competitive in everything, which has helped me become a better basketball player and student all these years!  Also, my boyfriend of over two years is another reason why I’ve become a better player.  I’m competitive with him too, and losing to him or Jess seriously ruins my day! Even pool basketball with all of us gets pretty crazy! Also, people wouldn’t know that I’m actually not shy. I come off quiet and some people take it the wrong way, which is understandable because I do that too with other people, but once you get me talking I never stop.

Gabriele is a sophomore journalism major. She attends SUNY Purchase College after transferring from SUNY Albany.