The Freshman 15: Fact or Myth at Purchase?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Entering college as a freshman naturally brings out fears of homework and living away from home.  However, more terrifying than workload or social anxieties is the all too infamous freshman 15.  Luckily, this leap in weight gain isn’t as big of a threat as most students fear.

According to Ohio State University researchers, the typical freshman only gains about a half-pound more than a same-age person who didn’t go to college.  In fact, students may only gain between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds in their first year of college.  But do these statistics represent Purchase College?

Gaby Fiore-Boland, a junior and Her Campus writer, didn’t gain any weight her first year at Purchase by maintaining a meat-free diet.  “I was a vegetarian which I think helped, and then I transitioned to veganism that also helped cut out a lot of unhealthy foods,” she said.  According to Boland, Purchase made her food choices easy, “I think Purchase is one of the easiest schools to be a vegetarian, and it’s still pretty easy to be a vegan here. There are a lot of options.”

The study also took into account the student’s drinking habits and found that those who were heavy drinkers of alcohol (consuming six or more drinks on at least four days per month.) gained less than a pound more than non-drinkers. 

Ohio State researchers did not take into account other drugs such as marijuana, a common recreational drug in colleges, especially Purchase.  Theresa Mctague said, “I lost weight freshman year because I stopped smoking weed.  No more munchies.”  But what about the students who begin drugs in college and experience “the munchies” in an all-you-can-eat dining hall?

Researchers found that less than 10 percent of college freshman do, in fact, gain the 15 pounds.  Carl Ackley, a Purchase College junior, is in that percentage, “I gained the freshman 20 on Hub pizza,” he said.  After reaching 200 pounds, Ackley is now down to 185 through running and eating better.   Although, he says it’s not always easy eating healthy at Purchase.  “The healthy food is too expensive.  The best amount-per-price here is getting the chicken grinder, a drink and a snack for a meal, but it’s almost 3 dollars for a small carton of orange juice,” said Ackley.

“College students don’t face an elevated risk of obesity because they gain a large amount of weight during their freshman year,” said Jay Zagorsky, co-author of the study and research scientist at Ohio State University’s Center for Human Resource Research.  “Instead, they have moderate but steady weight gain throughout early adulthood.  Anyone who gains 1.5 pounds every year will become obese over time, no matter their initial weight.”

So while the notorious 15-pound weight gain in one year doesn’t seem likely, although possible, it’s still important to practice healthy eating and exercise habits.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.