Eco-Friendly to the Extreme with Cloth Pads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Okay, get ready. We’re going to talk menstruation, collegiettes™. Now, before you scream ‘gross’ and call us a bunch of dirty hippies, consider this. On a campus where we have annual naked issues of the Indy, I think we can manage to talk about alternative feminine products. Yes ladies, I mean cloth pads.

HC writers Gaby and Christie took advantage of free cloth pads from Party in My Pants and here’s what they have to say.

Initial Reaction
Gaby: Well, they sent us a chocolate with the pad, so that was already a plus. Also, it had a cute design and it snaps closed over your underwear – really easy to use.

Christie: I’m not used to my “feminine products” actually looking feminine, so the pretty designs were a nice change up. Also, they feel like my favorite pair of pajama pants, so I was optimistic.

Comfort
Christie: I typically hate pads and never wear them, but these I could live with. They didn’t feel bulky or uncomfortable.

Gaby: Normal pads make me feel like I’m wearing a diaper and these just felt like normal underwear.

Efficiency
Gaby: Got the job done. I don’t feel gross wearing them, like I do with pads sometimes.

Christie: These were much more efficient than I imagined they would be. I couldn’t believe how comfortable and easy to use they were, while still being effective.  

Clean-up
Christie: Simple. I just tossed it in the laundry and it came out like new.

Gaby: You’re supposed to just throw it in with your laundry, which I guess could be seen as icky but once you get past that, it’s fine.

Conclusion
Gaby: I think they’re good. Women in developing countries obviously get by fine without disposable pads. Also, you save money from not having to buy pads again and again, and you get the little feeling of pride because you’re not contributing to landfills piling up somewhere.

Christie: I feel like these are a much more environmentally friendly version of pads, but I’m still more of a tampon kind of girl. But I think these will be much better for any girl in the long run, if you can make the switch.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.