Adios, Barbie: How To Be A Body Outlaw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

“Has anyone ever had a day, just one day, where you looked in the mirror and didn’t completely love what you saw?” 

This question drew a serious of nervous giggles, knowing nods, and hesitant hand raises from the audience at Southside this past Wednesday, at the “How to be a Body Outlaw” lecture.  Body image expert and author Ophira Edut shared ideas and excerpts from the latest edition of her book, “Body Outlaws: Rewriting the Rules of Beauty & Body Image.”

According to Edut, the average woman will see 400-600 advertisements a day, all of which are telling someone they’re “not enough” or “too much” but never just okay. 

“What would the world be like,” Edut asks, “If there was another perfect ideal?  Where women say who they are, rather than being told who to be.”

The concept of being a body outlaw, Edut explains, is the practice of loving yourself and your body.

“But if it was that easy, we’d all do it, right?” asks the email inviting all student-athletes and the dance conservatory, with an open invitation to any and all students. 

Edut discusses the need for a body image to come from a place of “self-love.”  Questions from the audience included how to deal with the eating habits you develop on a college campus, the idea of obesity as an eating disorder, and whether the speaker dismisses the idea of diets.

She does not, however, saying that making healthy choices and trying to look your best is something you have to “re-contextualize.”  You have to honor your body and thank it for what it can do, rather than hate it for what it doesn’t. 

“I’m not against Weight Watchers,” Edut assures.  “Sometimes a structure like that can help to make yourself a priority.”

Bianca Fernandez, a sophomore new media major in the crowd that evening, raised her hand to talk about her experience involving her phobia of being “too thin and vulnerable,” and her ambition to make a documentary about the different types of beauty in the world across many cultures.

Fernandez was one of many who seemed pleased to have the opportunity to share their stories and get the opinions and feedback of an expert like Edut.

Danielle Gray, the junior dance conservatory student who organized the event with the help of the Office of Student Life, the Athletics department, and the PSGA, said it was successful turnout for only having started advertising the previous Sunday night.  Gray said she was happy with the broad topics that were touched on and thought it was a really beneficial lecture.

Gray found Edut’s website through Stumble Upon, but you can find out about her book, “Body Outlaws,” here or check out her inspirational body-image site, Adios, Barbie.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.